Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is your go-to ragged hole puncher (hand-load) for the xl7 in .270 Win?
I'm looking to hand-load for mine on a budget and figured you guys have probably tried every combination under the sun.
Thanks,
ExLSeven

·
Registered
981 Posts
60grs of H4831, CCI200 primer, and any 130gr bullet will give you sub MOA and around 3100fps. I load the Nosler Ballistic Tip for a friend and he gets 1.5" groups at 200yds with it. That is the Jack O'Conner load.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
60grs of H4831, CCI200 primer, and any 130gr bullet will give you sub MOA and around 3100fps. I load the Nosler Ballistic Tip for a friend and he gets 1.5" groups at 200yds with it. That is the Jack O'Conner load.
Sounds to me like I just found MY new pet load.:)
Dms, do you have any experience with the VLD's from Berger?

·
Registered
981 Posts
Sounds to me like I just found MY new pet load.:)
Dms, do you have any experience with the VLD's from Berger?
Never saw a use for them. That nosler bullet when started at 3100fps has a MPBR of 300yds. That O'Conner load has been killing deer and elk out west since the 270 came out. It is the load that MADE the 270 reputation. Work up to it and you should be happy. I have yet to see a 270 that wouldn't shoot that load under 1" and it drops deer like lightning.

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
Hornady 150gr SST bullet
CCI LR BR primer
H 4350 48.7gr
Norma, Win, RP case all about the same ( 1/2 neck sized )

Reactions: ExLSeven

·
Registered
124 Posts
I've played with my syn xl7 with alot of bullets. I get plenty of good accuracy from many loads for our wis whitetail hunting. If I were in need of long range pinpoint accuracy the loads I would choose for my gun would be the 140 ballistic tip or the 140 accubond as they have shot really excellent. Either one fueled by up to 59 grains re22 with mag primers or about 57.5 re19 have been really really good.
I use a lead sled for load development and have to admit the biggest challenge with the syn stock on the xl's is getting a consistant hold. Of all my guns with a syn stock this thing really really flex's alot so pay big attention when you get a good group as to how you were holding the gun.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I am new here and recently purchased an XL7 in 270 cal. used at my favorite pawn shop/enabler. It is for my grandson who will be 13 in September. I have been a handloader since the early 70's so have some experience with the process. My brother and I tried 10 different loads one day taking time to break in the barrel along the way. I have to say that this Marlin barrel is one of the smoothest we have ever pulled a patch through. The load that turned in the best group : (keep in mind that we cleaned the bore after every load was shot. We cleaned with a bore brush after every two loads shot) The first round from a cold clean barrel printed the same for every load tried. It printed two inches low at 7 o'cloch of point of aim. The best load turned in for the 5 shots after the first fouling round, was; 46.9 grains of IMR 4895, CCI #200 LR primers and a Speer #1458 130 gr. BT Spitzer for an honest cluster of .498". The group can be covered with a dime. This at 100 yards.. No speed as we are going to try again and chrono the group. To say that I was impressed with the gun is an understatement. Told my grandson he may get an H&R topper or something else. He was not happy. Other loads did well but you asked for the one holer. Bob

·
Registered
238 Posts
If you want a load on a budget try the 130 pro hunter with 55 to 57 grains of IMR-4350. This is another Jack O Conner load. I used it for years with remmy brass and cci-200 primers for a velocity of 3065 on the chrony,with 57 grains. Ya know what they say about 60 gr. of H-4831 and the 130 grain bullet. If your gun won,t shoot that load your barrel is bent. I.ve used that load alot. It works. My personal favorite lately is a 140BT with IMR-4831 at 2900 to 3000 depending on the charge. That bullet is scarey accurate in my rifles and does not break the bank like accubonds and partitions. Another great load with 100 grain bullets is 52 grains of IMR-4064. That is another Jack O Conner load. I have never used that load. Another truely great load is a 150 gameking powered up with IMR-4831. I once put 5 shots under a dime. Its a great bullet that costs less than premium bullets and stout enough for elk.

Reactions: ExLSeven

·
Registered
14 Posts
Accurate 270 load

Winchester cases, Winchester WLR primers, 140 grain Nosler AccuBonds and 58.0 grains of H4831 SC. They have been working great on elk and mule deer here in Utah and shoot "lights out" for accuracy. Good luck

·
Registered
238 Posts
Winchester cases, Winchester WLR primers, 140 grain Nosler AccuBonds and 58.0 grains of H4831 SC. They have been working great on elk and mule deer here in Utah and shoot "lights out" for accuracy. Good luck
I love the 140AB. It cost a little more money than some like to spend but to me its an outstanding performer at the range. I launch the AB with IMR4831 at 2920 for targets and 2990 for any possible hunting. So far I,ve not hunted with it but as you say it has proving to be another tiny little cluster grouper for me too.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts