Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like some opinions on what is the most accurate factory loads for a marlin 30-30. They probably are very expensive.

So, I would also like some opinions on what would be the most accurate and yet affordable too.

I'm primarily interested in 150 grain bullets.

Thanks.

·
Registered
797 Posts
hazlitt, there's no such a thing as the most accurate brand of ammo and weight for every Marlin 336 in 30-30.
One man's rifle will be more accurate with a certain brand and weight grain for their rifle - yours and mine could be totaly diffrent with which particular ammo it's the most accurate with.
It would be good if you purchased a box of Remington, Federal and Winchester in 150 grains... but don't rule out the 170 grain ammo in each of the previous mentioned brands. One of them might be more accurate than any of the 150 grainers.
You have to sort it out yourself.

For supreme accuracy, reloading will narrow it down even more to find the most accurate bullet weight, type or brand of bullet, Brand of powder and weight grain charge, primer and various other things one can do to get the most accuracy from their particular rifle.

As far as the most expensive, about the only expensive 30-30 ammo I know of is Buffalo Bore.
The Rem. Fed. and Win. ammo are relatively inexpensive, but are good rounds.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I guess I will just have to experiment then. Herters has worked pretty well. And I am happy with Federal classic too both in 150. But nothing is conclusive yet. I will have to do some more shooting first.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Been doing a lot of shooting lately with some 150 grain Rem Core-Lokts. In my 4 .30-30s they are grouping very well in 3 and superbly in one. I bought a bunch using my Cabelas points and I'm happy I did. The 140 grain Hornady Monoflex is also an excellent, accurate round.
Bob

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
Mine both shoot the Federal stuff just fine, Rem core-loc't are good, leverevolution is good. But I'm no sniper, if I can bust a 4" clay at 100 yards, that gun is sighted in, and a hunting we will go.

·
El Kabong
8,333 Posts
The most accurate are ones you build to fit your rifle, no store bought can compare.
If I ever were to buy or use store boughts it would be Hornady Lever Evo 160s.
They will out distance any of what has been mentioned above.
We whack the 200 yard gong all day long with them. Ours are reloaded, not store bought. Which I hear work better than the reloaded ones.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Pard I like the video, I used to take my Lee loader to the range to use while working up loads. I would load up three and try them, then adjust the load. While it is slow compared to a progressive press it does load perfectly good ammo.

·
Super Moderator
9,322 Posts
Pard I like the video, I used to take my Lee loader to the range to use while working up loads. I would load up three and try them, then adjust the load. While it is slow compared to a progressive press it does load perfectly good ammo.
But slow at the range makes for accurate testing. That extra time letting the barrel cool off is beneficial to getting clear results of real accuracy.

Federal blue box has been the most accurate for store bought rounds in my two 30-30 Marlins. My handloads with Speer 150HCFN bullets and LVR powder are a smidgeon better than the blue box.

·
Registered
11,600 Posts
The only way to really know what groups best from "your" given rifle is to spend a few bucks and take the time to do a good comparison of several brands/weights and let the chips fall where they may. They're all somewhat different in my experiences in what a given rifle prefers, and sometimes by quite a bit. It's kind of fun and interesting to do anyway. After that is determined, then bullet terminal performance on the types of game may come into play as well in deciding what to use for hunting...
Anyway, it's been sometime since I last did comparisons with my 30-30, but for what it's worth at the time it prefered the Federal in 170 gr. I've never put any Hornady LE through it yet, but should probaby try it, since my .35 rem does so well with that... but again, you never know, ha!

Reactions: dpe.ahoy

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've decided the Herter's 150 grain shoots very consistently from my rifle. So I will only be shooting those, for what it is worth.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
I personally have not had luck with consistent tight 150gr groups out of my 336cs rifles. My best groups were from 170gr Federal Power Shock "blue box" and from Remington Reduced Recoil 125gr ammo. They both shoot near identical in my 336cs rifles.

·
Banned
2,803 Posts
I would like some opinions on what is the most accurate factory loads for a marlin 30-30. They probably are very expensive.

So, I would also like some opinions on what would be the most accurate and yet affordable too.

I'm primarily interested in 150 grain bullets.

Thanks.
This is another blanket statement like "all Remlins are bad and all JMs are good".
Reality doesn't work that way.
There are no absolutes in shooting......there are too many variable involved.
It all depends on your individual rifle.
There are a lot of different Marlin rifles chambered in 30-30 Win ..........millions of them as a matter of fact.........and they like people are all individuals.
A load that is accurate in one Marlin 336C in 30-30 might not be accurate in your buddies 336C in 30-30 even though they are the same make and model.
The only sure way of determining what is accurate and effective in your gun is good ole trial & error.
You conjecture a good load following basic (& safe) principles and then whip up a test batch and try them out.
That is what the oft read (on forums & in gun literalture) phrase "developing a load" means.
I've had good results with the cheap, plain jane 150 grain Remington Cor-Lokt bullets both for accuracy and knock-down efficacy in the Winchester & Marlin leverguns I own.
The shops & stores would rather have you buy Nosler and Barnes premium bullets at 3 or 4 times the cost but at the modest 30-30 velocities the Core-Lokt is as good as any.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Federal Blue Box.
I'm pretty sure Federal Standard grade ammo has been a winner in my experience, and more rifles in more chamberings have done well with it than any other label.

That said, I've owned about a half dozen .30-30's, and they all shot well with regular Remington, Winchester, Federal ammo. My current M336 shoots as well with Winchester Power points as anything I've tried to load myself, and I can get a 1", 5 shot group of the bench on most trips to the range. Average is well under 2". There are Marlin M336's that won't shoot, I have never seen one myself. Odds are good anything you try will work.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I've decided the Herter's 150 grain shoots very consistently from my rifle. So I will only be shooting those, for what it is worth.
Sounds good to me, especially if you are a hunter. You don't need to know what brand and weight your rifle "likes" best to kill stuff if your rifle is hitting where you aim with a cold barrel. I have no idea what my 336 "likes' best because all I did with it was sight it in with a box of Winchester Power Max ammo and go hunting. I've got two mighty tasty deer in the freezer it killed last season. I fired a one shot 30 caliber sized group into the chest of each one of them and they died pretty quick. I could have spent an extra $100 or so trying all the brands and weights but it would not have changed the equation.

I realize that if you are a target shooter or hand loader, getting the rifle to group with the magic load IS the goal and it is a fun pursuit, but it is not necessary if you just want to hunt.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts