Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, y'all. I bought an 80s manufactured 500 some years ago for a bottom dollar. Thru years of neglect, the factory walnut stock is still savable but I think I might want to go tactical with it.

I saw ATI furniture, and was impressed from the pics. Magpul impressed me as well, as did Archangel.

My thoughts on this is that I have a $75 shotgun that I want to keep it bargain dollar wise, yet have something that I can look at and be proud of.

What would y'all do on a, say $100 stock set upgrade. $200 max, for a solid 500?

I'm an AR fan, and thought about that sort of buttstock. But then wondered about a pistol grip.

This will be primarily a home defense/backyard shooter when it's done. Currently sits next to bedroom door in case meth heads might want to taste some buckshot.

Thanks for your thoughts

·
Super Moderator
11,690 Posts
I would go as cheap as I could on a gun like that. Otherwise you'll wind up with more in it that the gun is worth.

·
Super Moderator
15,434 Posts
I got a late 80's 500 and the stock was shortened by the previous owner... Even though it was free and a good shooter I still couldn't justify spending real money on it... I put a WTB/WTT ad here and swapped stocks with a member... He got the shorty and I got a factory length... Win win...

Attachments

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Some of my guns are just tools that I am not overly concerned about their appearance. One cheap fix would be to camo tape the stock. If you go with the tactical thing I don't see how you can not have 3 times the $ that you have in the gun.

·
Premium Member
4,274 Posts
Refinish that walnut stock for $10 and a little time. Fine sand paper, finish stripper and whatever you like for a finish, you will have a good looking stock.
In a close quarters fight, that is a possibility when it comes to home defense, the walnut stock will cause more harm than any of the lightweight poly stocks.
Andrew

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Refinish that walnut stock for $10 and a little time. Fine sand paper, finish stripper and whatever you like for a finish, you will have a good looking stock.
In a close quarters fight, that is a possibility when it comes to home defense, the walnut stock will cause more harm than any of the lightweight poly stocks.
Andrew
I just ordered a forend and pistol grip for it, $57 including tax and $5 flat shipping.

I'll most likely clean up the original wood and keep it around. I rarely purge anything original, just something that I've always done. I still have the original stock that we replaced from my nephew's Red Ryder back when he could barely cock the thing. Stock was about 6" too long for him at that time. (he was honorably discharged from the Corp in 2012).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts