Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
From my posts last year, you know I bought this rifle new in September, 2017. It's an accurate rifle and handles very well in the woods- I did not get a shot at a deer with it last season, but we are getting closer to the new season every day.

I've had no feed/eject problems with this rifle at all. My only complaint has been the heavy trigger and relatively rough action. In another thread I talked about polishing the wear spots on the bolt, lever, and every other moving part I could remove from the rifle. That Marinecoat finish is tough, but it's mildly abrasive- but with felt wheels on my Dremel I was able to polish off the Marinecoat on those wear spots. I left the receiver alone, hoping that polishing would be enough.

It wasn't.

Though it was not fired in the woods at all, the rifle was loaded and unloaded quite a bit during the weekends I hunted with it, and at the end of the season, the improvement I noticed when I polished those parts was gone, and in fact it felt worse. Today I found out why. See the photos:

Line Wood Door Steel Window

Vehicle door Automotive exterior Rim Steel Metal

Notice where the Marinecoat is coming off at the edges where the bolt rides when it moves back and forth. Running a fingertip over them, those areas were rough as a cob. Another long session with felt wheels and jeweler's rouge removed most of the Marinecoat in those areas (that stuff is really tough and takes a while to polish off), though I was not able to remove it all before I ran out of felt wheels-- and it's 106 degrees at 2 pm, and I ain't running out to get more today, so I will leave it where it is for now. It's smooth again, for but how long?

I am a fan of this little rifle- it's a lot of fun. and if it were not accurate I'd already have traded it off or sold it. But I have to say coating the inside of the action and all the moving parts with Marinecoat was a pretty bad idea on Mossberg's part. Sure, it will help protect against rust and corrosion, but this will not likely ever be a smooth-functioning rifle. I don't know how many years of normal use it would take to smooth out, probably a very long time-- if at all.

At some point I may take it to a smith and have that trigger worked on- it's not a simple matter of replacing a spring as it is with a Marlin. But.... that has not been a priority, given the work I have put into sorting out my .30-30 Ackley Improved.

It's a great-looking rifle, sure enough:

Shotgun Air gun Recreation Machete

But I wish Mossberg had thought this out a little more.

Rick

·
Administrator
30,804 Posts
I assume what you're experiencing is why Mossberg discontinued this Marinecoat finish and only offer the blued finish.

Talk with Adam at RPP, he may have some insight to share regarding that finish.

Jack

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I assume what you're experiencing is why Mossberg discontinued this Marinecoat finish and only offer the blued finish.

Talk with Adam at RPP, he may have some insight to share regarding that finish.

Jack
Could very well be. I'm a fan of this finish on the outside of the gun! I have been meaning to ask Adam something anyway, so why not?

Reactions: JACKTW
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.