Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is a Mosin overpowered for whitetails in the New York region?

I've always wanted a Mosin and eventually I'll get one but a friend of a friend recommended I get something in .308 because it's more versatile. I didn't plan on buying a Mosin specifically for hunting, but I know it would kill if I decided to use it. My only concern is, is the 7.62x54r too much bullet for whitetail? I want to eat it not blow it apart.
On .308, what's a reliable but affordable rifle? I was looking at Mossberg's patriot, Mossberg has a decent reputation and the price seems right, but I'd like to hear thoughts from other people.

I have a 30-30 which is perfect for deer but for the property I'd be hunting on there's lots of open space, so I might need something with a little more range (or an excuse to go back to the LGS, take it as you will :wink:)

·
Registered
5,767 Posts
Is a Mosin overpowered for whitetails in the New York region?

I've always wanted a Mosin and eventually I'll get one but a friend of a friend recommended I get something in .308 because it's more versatile. I didn't plan on buying a Mosin specifically for hunting, but I know it would kill if I decided to use it. My only concern is, is the 7.62x54r too much bullet for whitetail? I want to eat it not blow it apart.
On .308, what's a reliable but affordable rifle? I was looking at Mossberg's patriot, Mossberg has a decent reputation and the price seems right, but I'd like to hear thoughts from other people.

I have a 30-30 which is perfect for deer but for the property I'd be hunting on there's lots of open space, so I might need something with a little more range (or an excuse to go back to the LGS, take it as you will :wink:)
They have about the same velocity in the same length barrels. They would be fine for whitetails. I would prefer 308 but in terms of lethality they are the same

·
Super Moderator
25,284 Posts
The Mosin is not overkill for a whitetail--its falls roughly between a 308 Win and the 30-06 depending on the bullet used for hunting/shooting. Unless you handload---I would stick with a 308 Win rifle. I have a Mosin and reload for mine exclusively as factory ammo can be hard to find and much of it is FMJ stuff which I wouldn't use for hunting. Savage and Ruger both make inexpensive rifles with great triggers--that is what I would buy now if looking for a new 308 Win rifle.
Gun Airsoft Biome Paintball equipment Games Up in the tree stand with my '43 Mosin-Nagant four years ago and no whitetail volunteered to wander by my stand. I reload for the rifle using 150 gr PPU SP bullets and H4895 powder.

·
Registered
128 Posts
The .308 has got to be one of the most accurate rounds out there . the U.S. Military uses it for a sniper round guys use it for the 1000 yard club. As far as availability of ammo and data for loading you can't beat the .308 .If you want to hunt hunt with the Mosin knock yourself out, it'll get the job done .
I wouldn't worry about ruining meat .I've shot 5 deer with a 30-06 and the damage isn't bad

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
I have the 91/30 & M44. They are fun range rifles.
A Mosin would not be my choice for a hunting rifle. But other's have hunted with them. I consider the Finn M39 rifle(derived from 91/30) to be a better rifle.
Only non-corrosive soft point 7.62x54R should be used for deer hunting. keep in mind that the cartridge is not available every where.
7.62x54R is not going to be over power for Deer, but .308 (7.62x51) would be a better choice because of it's availability, modern day ammo, wide selection in brands & grains, and you can find it in the LGS should you forget your ammo while hunting.

Additionally, your modern .308 bolt-action rifle will have a lot more to offer... free float barrel, mounting points for a scope, synthetic or wood stocks, cold hammer forged barrel, better rifling, smooth action, better/ adjustable trigger, recoil pad. Overall a better hunting rifle.
But in the same token, I don't take my hunting rifle to the range and plinking off several boxes of ammo like I would w/ a Mosin. Imo, you don't want to continuously shoot your hunting rifle & watch the barrel get burning hot ( let it cool down.) Where-as a Mosin is a old war rifle, designed/made to be shot over & over.

Something like a Ruger American in .308, 7mm-08, 270, etc.. is a fine choice for a lite weight rig for deer hunting without breaking the bank.
.308 caliber is a good caliber for your whitetail hunting.
Another good choice is 7mm-08 or 270. They are a flatter shooting caliber.

·
Premium Member
12,197 Posts
308, Mosin, or 30-06 is not "too much" for deer.

Meat damage can be reduced considerably by shot placement (through the lungs rather than targeting the shoulder) and also by holding down the velocity by using either heavier bullets or handloading to lower the impact velocity.

Mostly though, I just don't worry 'bout messing up a little meat. I like dropping the deer.

Always found the Mosin a little "clunky", but it certainly has the power. Roughly equal to a 308 or 30-06, very similar.

Regards, Guy

·
Super Moderator
25,284 Posts
308, Mosin, or 30-06 is not "too much" for deer.

Meat damage can be reduced considerably by shot placement (through the lungs rather than targeting the shoulder) and also by holding down the velocity by using either heavier bullets or handloading to lower the impact velocity.

Mostly though, I just don't worry 'bout messing up a little meat. I like dropping the deer.

Always found the Mosin a little "clunky", but it certainly has the power. Roughly equal to a 308 or 30-06, very similar.

Regards, Guy
You are right--the Russian made Mosin is clunky compared to other military service rifles that came out during the early 20th Century (the early ones made in the USA are much better). The safety in itself can be very difficult to manipulate unless one practices to operate it smoothly and quietly. If you have the Mod 91/30 like I do---the overall rifle length can be daunting until you get used to it. Also--I would NOT recommend attaching the bayonet to the muzzle----it can be a Russian of a Bear to get it back off. On the plus side--if you get a good well maintained Mosin like I did---the thing will just plain shoot. A lot of Nazis found that out the hard way.

·
Registered
14,469 Posts
The damage to meat is a function of the bullet not the caliber. In case of 30 cal rifles it is velocity- bullet choice. A bullet that preforms
well at 30/30 velocities can be like a Varmit bullet when run a 3000 fps out of a magnum. The opposite is true, a magnum bullet may
not expand at low velocity. A Mosin is a practical deer caliber with proper bullet.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Mossberg builds very good firearms and their Patriot model is a fine choice for hunting where shots can be long. I own a Mossberg pump action shotgun and their lever action rifle and both are sturdy and well made.

TR

·
Registered
5,623 Posts
Thing about Russkie guns is they are tractors. Rough, tough and hardly ever fail. I went through a couple of Nagants, a carbine and rifle. Interesting but rough. Keep in mind the older sights are not yards or meters. They are Arshins, at 28 inches.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thing about Russkie guns is they are tractors. Rough, tough and hardly ever fail. I went through a couple of Nagants, a carbine and rifle. Interesting but rough. Keep in mind the older sights are not yards or meters. They are Arshins, at 28 inches.
I never knew that, in fact I never heard of an Arshin. Thanks for that :shakehands:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts