Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is one of my retirement projects ... get my Morse back up to snuff. If there is anyone left 'out there' that still uses it.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Got a "404 error" on both links

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I picked this up at a HamFest ...

IMG_0056.JPG IMG_0044.JPG Morse Key Close-up.JPG

It was made for the French Army (1955) and was used by the Foreign Legion and (I was told) the South African Army. It is very well made.

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
.. .- .-.. ... --- .... .- ...- . .- -.- . -.--

Reactions: Blaine

·
Registered
3,326 Posts
Learned it long ago. All I remember is. Dot Dot Dot. Dash Dash Dash. Dot Dot Dot

Reactions: Boobarzo

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
As a Boy Scout, way back when dinosaurs still roamed the Earth, I remember learning Morse code, as well as semaphore (?) with the flags? 50 years of lack of practice I have completely forgotten both. Also, back before GPS became available, I started learning celestial navigation. With a sextant. I got OK doing the actual sighting, but never quite got comfortable with the math and the tables and so on. Then GPS became widely available. Learned to use the sextant for other navigational tasks, as well as some surveying(?) chores around the house. A very accurate way of measuring angles.

Luisyamaha

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
.. / .... .- ...- . / ... . ...- . .-. .- .-.. / - .... .. ... / .. ... / -- -.-- / .-.. .. - - .-.. . / ..-. .. . .-.. -.. / -.- . -.--
--. --- --- -.. / --. .-. .. ..-.

I am so rusty. Got to go dig out my practice key and start up again. ........ Its been many many years.

·
Registered
6,721 Posts
CW is still very much in use in ham radio. It remains the single best method to communicate with low power under difficult band conditions. Also, it allows the most efficient use of band space, as the CW bandwidth is the narrowest of transmission signals. CW communications can get through and be copied, when voice, AM, FM, SSB, and Rtty will not.

A CW signal at 5 watts is easily the equal of a SSB transmission at 100 watts. Expert CW operators can transmit and receive at 40-60 words/minute, twice as fast as teenagers can text.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Here is a link for "Just Learn Morse Code" program download.
www.justlearnmorsecode.com/download.html

Several experienced CW hams have recommended this site.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts