Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK here's another question, and this time I don't have the answer myself! Hopefully you guys are pretty knowledgeable, and can answer this one for me!
Bought a Martini Peabody this morning at our little gun show. The gun is in beautiful shape, and unlike others, it is stamped "Steyr 1880" on the left side of the receiver. This is the first Steyr large frame Martini I've ever seen, and since it was so pristine I couldn't pass it up.
Now for my question: anybody know what calibers the Steyr Martinis were chambered for? I'm sure it wouldn't be the same as British, but the seller had never fired this gun, and had no idea. He was a US Army Capt. in WWII, and captured this gun from enemy force in the Phillipines! God only knows how a Steyr made Martini ended up in the Phillipine Islands?

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
caliber?

This is a topic I can get into!! Your caliber may well be 11.43X60R, but there are a number of obscure cartridges from this era. See also:
http://www.militaryrifles.com and there's detailed information on Stery-made Peabody-Martinis. - Tab down to 'Romania'. I tried to use properties of a photo, but I can't seem to get it to work. The cartridge is similar to the 43 Egyptian.

While your cerro-safe is warming, check www.gunboards.com There are some VERY knowledgeable people on the Steyr forum who can help with this.

I REALLY like these obscure metrics! SW

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the links and the help Steve! It will be a bit before I can cast the chamber, as I didn't have enough cash with me today. I had to give my friend enough to hold it, and we'll get together in a week or two and get the gun. He lives an hour or so south of here, so I may nto get there until next weekend.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Dave at Buffalo Arms sells dies & brass for what I'm pretty sure it is, but be sitting down when you look at the prices! SW

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea, I'll bet they're spendy, but then so are many of the other oddball calibers I shoot! The dies and brass for my .25-21 Stevens caliber were a small fortune from BA, and half of the stupid Bertram brass failed on the first firing! At $1 apiece, that hurts!
Next time I'll buy RMC brass. Maybe they've got brass for this rifle?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts