Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This past Monday my son used my Marlin 219 Zipper to bag his second large doe of the season; one shot mid-neck at about 70 yards and she was down for the count! After field dressing, he delivered the deer to the processor and asked them to weigh his prize but their scales were out of commission; so we have no idea how heavy this doe may have been, but this doe was big. My son is 6' 3" and 254 pounds, so if one considers his size and the size of the head of this doe; one can get a fair idea. Bottom llne, this animal was very long and heavy and unusually large for an upstate South Carolina whitetail. All that aside my son, who laughed at the prospect of shooting deer with this little Zipper is now in love with the gun!
Plant Plant community Smile Fawn Tree

·
Premium Member
6,776 Posts
Congrats to your son on a very nice doe!

·
Premium Member
9,850 Posts
now look Tom, a 22 cal. will not kill deer! LOL, i remember back in the 70s i was using a 22-250 to kill deer full time. all the gun writers were screaming under no circumstances never shoot deer with a 22 centerfire! i have killed a van truck load with 223,22-250,220 swift and even the 22 hornet. i never had a bullet bounce off and i can only remember ever losing one deer due to my inpatients, and 98% were body shots. now days they say well it is fine, who would have known. that is a nice doe,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

·
Registered
5,808 Posts
I'm in luv wit a Zipper! She popping! She rollin!

Reactions: OLSKOOL

·
Premium Member
9,850 Posts
what a 17 Remington with a 25gr. hp at 4000fps will do to a 100 pound doe at 100yds. it didn't bounce off either,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Eye Jaw Art Eyelash Painting
Food Jaw Ingredient Cuisine Art

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
I would guess your son is about 1 of 5-10 people hunting with a Zipper. Another nice doe.

·
Registered
5,547 Posts
219 Zipper is supposed to be able to send a 55 gr bullet down range at about 3300 fps. I think it was listed with a 26" barrel? Anyway, its very close to a 223 bolt action with a normal barrel length. Deer have been killed with a 223. Some really like the Barnes and Hornady mololithic bullets. They now make deer bullets for the 22's.

DEP

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
"Great success story. I never had a 219 zipper, always though one would be fun. Great picture ...but as Jack O'Conner use to say.....you should always show your musket in the picture!"

Agree Friend, but for some reason the kid wanted my Black Jack knife in the pic instead; but here's the Zipper with another large doe he shot on 11/02. This old doe was noticeably smaller than the large doe above and was weighed in at 98 lbs. field dressed. This Marlin is a first-year production Zipper (1955) to which I've added my "personal" touches; late vintage checkered stocks, gold plated trigger, etc. The gun was gifted by a friend about 15 years ago, and in all that time I'd fired 6 rounds at a sight-in session.
Although I've done no reloading, I'll be forced to do so should I ever be serious about shooting this Zipper as ammo these days ranges from outrageous to non-existant. I've accumulated a set of dies and some brass so maybe I'll do the handloading thing someday; in the interim my son is shooting reloads I purchased on-line many years ago. I've no idea how they are loaded, but they are accurate and effective. Marlin's Zipper is a neat little rifle and the cartridge itself is fun to shoot; no recoil and no loud report. It's a pity Marlin couldn't make it a commercial success; but then we can say the same thing about the 336ER, the 338MX, and several other models.
Hunting Deer hunting Grass Wood Plant

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
This past Monday my son used my Marlin 219 Zipper to bag his second large doe of the season; one shot mid-neck at about 70 yards and she was down for the count! After field dressing, he delivered the deer to the processor and asked them to weigh his prize but their scales were out of commission; so we have no idea how heavy this doe may have been, but this doe was big. My son is 6' 3" and 254 pounds, so if one considers his size and the size of the head of this doe; one can get a fair idea. Bottom llne, this animal was very long and heavy and unusually large for an upstate South Carolina whitetail. All that aside my son, who laughed at the prospect of shooting deer with this little Zipper is now in love with the gun! View attachment 866970
Nice Deer. Food supplies in the area for the past few years must have been good.

I am a fan of the small bore 30-30 wildcats as well. Having a 219 Donaldson Wasp barrel put on an old single shot currently. A little different twist, 1-7" for the 80 to 90 gr pills.

·
Registered
5,547 Posts
For deer hunting reloading should be rewarding for the Zipper. I do not know the twist but suspect it is 1-12 or 1-14 as that was common for 22's at that time. Some still have good results loading the heavier deer bullets. The 50 grain Barnes all copper also work well.

DEP

·
Super Moderator
4,795 Posts
Well done.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
It is my understanding that this cartridge is derived from 30-30 cases necked down to 22 caliber. It must be very fast and certainly enough power to down this large doe. Good shooting!

TR

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
"Tom, what bullet was used to take those two deer?"

Thanks for asking, but I've no idea TE? When I got this Zipper the only ammo I could find was NOS Rem and Win collector stuff; the cost was outrageous even 10-12 years ago (and more so now!). So I searched the web for deals and purchased whatever reasonably priced after-market reloads, partial boxes, and brass I could find. One purchase consisted of18 rounds in a plastic box with a label, "The Bore House - Lampas, TX"; and I used 7 of those rounds the only time I'd shot the gun to sight in the Leupold scope. I've no idea how they're loaded, or the grain of the bullet; but the bullet itself is a pointed hollow point. Clearly not intended for a lever gun, but fine one round at a time and extremely accurate; this was the round my son used for a test fire and to take the first deer. The second time out my son lost a chance at another doe using the same rounds when the two he tried failed to fire; the primer was dented, but no bang. The boy was ticked, so we changed up our reloaded ammo when he shot the second doe. This second batch of reloads are round nose soft points, and it was with great reluctance that I allowed their use because I'd never fired one in this rifle and had no idea how they'd print. Again, I've no idea as to the loading or the weight of that bullet either, but clearly they worked. For the record the hollow points were loaded in reformed 25/35 brass cases and the soft points in reformed 30/30 cases. Earlier this week we attempted to fire the balance of the hollow-point loads and all failed to fire; but all looked fine outwardly. I've no idea what happened to these rounds from the time I did the original sight-in when they worked perfectly til now; but they apparently rotted over time for some unknown reason? Bottom line is that this gun is lots of fun to shoot, and handloading will be the only realistic way to do any shooting. I have a press and RCBS dies, but everything is still packed away in storage from my move to SC a few years ago; and with all the other issues on my plate, I simply haven't been inspired to get started. The season here lasts thru Jan. 1; and if things work out I'll hunt with the Zipper again in the hopes of taking another large doe.as my wife and son thoroughly enjoy venison.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts