Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those who either can't readily or don't often access the big gun stores but still like to see some of the less common, but still 'cool' stuff, I offer a few views of my initial impression of the BFR.

First off, it seems to shoot well and isn't the arm yanker I had anticipated. Actually, I'm getting a bit ahead of myself since I haven't been specific about the actual weapon. It's a 475 Linebaugh/480 Ruger in the 6.5" barreled version which MR, unlike most revolver builders, measures the barrel from the front of the frame instead of from the front of the cylinder. That in effect makes this a 7" barrel if it is measured like one would a Ruger barrel. Now, I have only put a few rounds down range and they have been the 480 version but they have been full power 400 grain loads; 1130 fps and they are pleasant to shoot in this gun. I say this relative to other big bore revolvers I have fired.

The second observation on my particular revolver is less flattering; namely, the hammer, when pulled slowly to the rear will cock before the cylinder locks. In normal motion it doesn't seem to be a problem but it can and does happen with regularity if one is being careful in its operation (as one might be if an animal target was in imminent shooting position and care was being taken to avoid excess noises.) Drawing the hammer fully down always bring the cylinder to a locked position as does rapid or normal cocking motion. The bottom line is the gun can be cocked with the chamber a considerable distance out of line- between 0.040"- 0.080" - I would estimate.

Another observation I can make is more cosmetic. For practical use and for my purposes, these don't really matter but they are worth noting given the cost of these guns. The front portion of the frame on my example shows a wavy surface on both sides of the frame.

http://www.marlinowners.com/gallery//displayimage.php?pos=-448

In addition, the inside edge of the frame at the front is rather 'washed' by the finishing process. It's a minor thing from a functional standpoint, but again, it is something I didn't expect on a firearm of this price. The much less expensive Ruger easily beats the BFR on finish.

Finally, one other detail, hopefully a minor one, is the ejector rod. The BFR is fitted more loosely with a rod which seems flimsy.

http://www.marlinowners.com/gallery//displayimage.php?pos=-449

By contrast, the Ruger ejector seems to be both more rigid as well as fitted more closely so it doesn't move around as much. I'm not trying to make a pitch for one or the other or judge either of these guns. I just thought I'd throw this out here. I buy sight unseen most of the time. I like the BFR after my initial impressions. I do have some concern about the locking time of the cylinder and may have that looked at and have the barrel shortened at the same time. (The cost of sending handguns to the factory, or anywhere else, makes that a somewhat prohibitive thing to do.)

http://www.marlinowners.com/gallery//displayimage.php?pos=-450

·
Registered
135 Posts
Have you contacted them yet about the cylinder / hammer lockup?
1-800-772-6168 . I would think that if you talked to them about it they would pay shipping. I tried to cock hammer on my 454 before the cylinder locked and can't do it.

jar

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I finally got my somewhat troubled BFR returned to Magnum. Ouch! $53 and change to send the thing. And that was after making a trip all the way to Anchorage (over $600) to do it. (Obviously I made the trip to take care of some other things as well but I can't write it off.)

The gun was signed for according to the tracking record I have, on 8-12-05- I hope by someone employed at Magnum- so now I wait. I will update any of you who are interested with what the final outcome is.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well the Fed Ex tracking deal is pretty cool. MR notified Fed EX for pickup and the truck apparently stopped by within 15 minutes. That was in the late afternoon of the 26th. The gun made it as far as Anchorage before 10 am on the 27th. Unfortunately, in Alaska, beyond that point they can't/don't track their parcels so now it is just wait and hope for the best. I want to give these guys a good review - I hope I will. I guess now we wait and see how long it takes for Fed Ex's Priority "Overnight" service to deliver......

In rural Alaska, the only warranty you want on a handgun is the one you never need to fall back on. Handguns can't go in the mail except to FFLs.

·
Registered
159 Posts

These are both of mine. One in .45-70, the other is in .500 S&W Magnum. Both run very well and are very accurate. Bill T.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts