Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a whole bunch of lead from a old shower pan today to add to my scrap pile. folded it up and brought it home. What I need now is some pueter to add to it when melting time comes. Planning on making a bunch of smaller bars for bullets . This is a picture of it after kicking it off my hand trucks.

·
Premium Member
All kinds. Enamored of their mechanisms!
11,361 Posts
Ironic, the Latin word for lead is 'plumbum', the derivative of 'plumber', and you are the 'Plumbernator'. Great for a guy who likes his lead and works with it, for now. Our government is working very hard to eliminate it. AC

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I tore alot of the old lead pans out in the passed and didnt ever think of bullets. now that Ive gotten into casting my own I dont see many of these pans any more. I do save the lead poured in old cast pipe joints I tear out. Got a bit of that too. Got a old gallon cast iron kettle to melt it down in. Im going to burn and melt out side. Ill be able to walk away and let it melt, pop, splatter or what ever it does . Skim the top and make some small bars out of my corn bread pan in the shape of little corn cobs. Been looking for some pueter with not much luck. use to see it at yard sales all the time but not much latley

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Good new /bad news ...
good news is I'm getting a new roof... better news is I'm keeping roughly roughly 800 pounds of lead flashing 8 24"x24' rolls and vents stacks...
The bad news is they were one half square short of finish when the factory rep notifies them the installation is out of spec.......
TEAR OFF AND START OVER!!!!! Aurgh!! Great company, but just a crew screw up.
But I should get to double up on the lead yield..... compensation for wife's complaint about extended roof work schedule.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My mind is not raping around that. What is PB. Im tired and aint firing on all 8.

·
Premium Member
12,127 Posts
I tore alot of the old lead pans out in the passed and didnt ever think of bullets. now that Ive gotten into casting my own I dont see many of these pans any more. I do save the lead poured in old cast pipe joints I tear out. Got a bit of that too. Got a old gallon cast iron kettle to melt it down in. Im going to burn and melt out side. Ill be able to walk away and let it melt, pop, splatter or what ever it does . Skim the top and make some small bars out of my corn bread pan in the shape of little corn cobs. Been looking for some pueter with not much luck. use to see it at yard sales all the time but not much latley

What kind of ladle is that? You need to get you a real Plumbers ladle with a better reach.

Antique Vintage Primitive Cast Iron Ladle Ladel Melting Smelting Lead Pot 14 5" | eBay

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I know was looking at some on ebay just a minute ago. Thats a little lee dipper that I got on a deal with one of my molds. I need to hit some of the old plumbers up around here see if they might have a couple lying around

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
Good new /bad news ...
good news is I'm getting a new roof... better news is I'm keeping roughly roughly 800 pounds of lead flashing 8 24"x24' rolls and vents stacks...
The bad news is they were one half square short of finish when the factory rep notifies them the installation is out of spec.......
TEAR OFF AND START OVER!!!!! Aurgh!! Great company, but just a crew screw up.
But I should get to double up on the lead yield..... compensation for wife's complaint about extended roof work schedule.
That is Awesome!! I wish I could get a stash like that.... Im still 250 to 300lbs short on the pure lead for my alloy :vollkommenauf:

Doc

·
Premium Member
All kinds. Enamored of their mechanisms!
11,361 Posts
Thanks . All I could come up with last night was peanut butter
Hey plumbernator, that's why I posted the Latin word for lead - plumbum. The Romans used lead for their plumbing, hence 'plumbum' is the derivative for the word plumbing. Lead is an element on the periodic chart and it's symbol is 'Pb'. There is a theory out there that lead poisoning from drinking water delivered through lead pipes contributed to the decline of the Roman Empire. I thought your Marlin Owners handle, along with your occupation and interest in casting with lead all kind of tied together in a neat way. If you get 90% of the lead cast into 200 grain bullets you will have over 1400 rounds gratis. AC

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yep I have my moments of brain stop. I have read about the lead and how plumber came from that latin word.
Hey Doc what do you use to add with your pure lead. Im not having much luck finding pueter.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
I have wheel weight alloy that I use at 75% and 25% of pure, then I add my pewter in for the Tin and its all good. I have all the Wheel weight alloy and pewter but Im short on pure lead... The brother in law hasnt brought any home in a while.....

Doc

·
Premium Member
6,603 Posts
Just think in four and a half billion years our nuclear arsenal will be good for nothing but shooting targets.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts