Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been looking at getting a med. sized bush axe and made a pretty discouraging discovery today.
The Snow and Neally axe has is pretty well thought of, and since it's no secret that I'm pretty adamant about buying American when I can, I've been looking at some of their different models to see if one might work for me.
Well,,,, in my search I discovered that their heads have been forged in China for the last seven+ years. :(
I guess they're still tempered here, but that doesn't make me feel much better.
As far as I can tell, that only leaves Estwing and Council. I already have a nice little leather handled Estwing so I think I'll pick up one of Council's short handled Hudson Bay axes before they're gone too.
At the risk of ending up on my soap-box,,, I'll just say that it seems like most folks have about given up on buying US. Can't really say that I blame em, and that bothers me...

O.K.... climbing down now and in keeping with the subject of axes I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with this brand.
http://www.bensbackwoods.com/servlet/Detail?no=674
German made (by Oxbow) and reasonably priced got my attention, but I'd sure like to hear from anyone that actually has one.
Thanks
Charlie

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No doubt a good piece although even their smaller version's a bit heavy for my needs.
Wonder who makes em? Might also be OxBow since they're the official axe for Stihl's lumber-jack contests. I'll ask the Stihl dealer at our local saw shop the next time I'm in there.

The Scandinavian axes are without a doubt the most popular. For a good reason I'm sure, but I was looking for something a little more economical since It'll only be used a few times each year. Just don't want to buy imported junk no matter what the price.
Charlie

·
Premium Member
1,143 Posts
Charlie years ago I used to have a medium weight plumb double bit that was near perfect. I always called it a christmas tree axe and it served me extremely well. If you like I can keep an eye out for one around here in the second hand stores. Estwing makes a single bit called a camp axe that might be about right for you too. Let me know, I'm only about 5 minutes from Home Depot and they carry them there, I can shoot you a price on one to help you as a bench mark. Hope you're doing well my friend.

Jesse

·
Banned
2,148 Posts
You really should look at auction sites. I just picked up a double bit Plumb last week - think it's cruiser weight. I tried it out this evening for the first time. OMG this baby is sharp - slices newsprint like a knife and the wood just peels off the blade effortlessly. My new favorite and only $10.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the ideas guys.
Sorry for the late reply. My computer went ka-putt. Had to get a new one. Ouch! :eek:

Jesse,,,,,,,,, I actually have an old Plumb double bit. Sounds like it's the same or very similar to the one you had. It is indeed a nice piece of steel, but it didn't have a handle when I got it and I haven't been able to find one that even comes close to fitting it.
The 36 incher that I completely mangled and finally persuaded to fit (sorta :p) definitely isn't right for it though.
I've also got the little leather handled Estwing I picked up recently that's perfect for splitting kindling and driving tent stakes. I was basically thinking about a mid weight axe with a 24"-26" handle and that OxHead on Bens site caught my eye.
Truth is though,,, no more than I'll use it, I should probably renew my search for the proper handle for the Plumb and make a sheath for it while I'm at it. They'll be holding the Lumber-Jack competitions over in Orifino next month (always a good time). Maybe I can find one or at least get a lead on where to look.
Thanks
Charlie

·
Premium Member
1,143 Posts
Charlie I know exactly what you mean about the handles for the little plumb axes, but as good as you are at wood working I'd lay dollars to doughnuts you can whip one up. The real problem is to find the right material to work with to do it at a price that won't give you a heart attack....grin. I agree too that starting with a handle for a larger head just won't work out the way you want it. Hickory or ash seems like the stuff to start with but I don't know what kind of stock is available in those woods. It seems in the last 20 years or so that the mid size double bits have disappeared from the production inventories or a lot of companies.

BTW a buddy of mine has a brand new in the box 1991 production Schrade Old Timer Middleman Jack that he wants to swap off. This knife has never been sharpened, know anyone that might be interested?....smile. This one is American made for sure and in perfect condition with the exception of a union logo etched into the handles, they were given out as party favors years ago.

Jesse

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Gonzo,,,,,,,, That's a lot of axe for not a whole lot of money. Heavier than I'm looking for, but still a tempting at that price.
Thanks for the link.

Jesse,,,,,,,,, You and Ha Dingus really got me to thinking about that old Plumb that I already have, so today I went out and pulled the handle.
I also cleaned it up a bit with some 150grit and took a pic. I'm gonna post the pic over on Greg's "What about axes" thread and see if anyone has any ideas on aquiring the proper handle for it.
I'll keep looking for a nice little camp axe, but for now, I think I'll concentrate on showing the little Plumb some love. Ha
Thanks
Charlie

Oh yea,,,, Let me look at my trading stock. You know how I loves them old US Schrade's. Thanks for thinking about me.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Hey MyDogs!
Mine do too! Nonetheless, Have you looked at the Russ Kommer designed TimberLine units that feature removable scales? I'm thinking of getting the smaller "canoe-sized" unit to keep in my Wrangler for emergencies. Relatively cheap too!
BB

;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts