Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my moose with my Marlin 45-70 Guide Gun. The load I settled on was 46.5 grains of IMR3031 pushing a 405 grain cast lead bullet at about 1600 f.p.s. It worked but first shot was center of chest and ended up veering left and breaking a shoulder instead of penetrating vitals. So now I have another moose tag this fall and am considering a 300-350 grain bullet..... I would like to use a cast bullet but may step up to gas check instead of plain base. A jacketed bullet is also an option. I have a box of Hornady jacketed to try and have a few test laods with 3031 loaded up for my next trip to the range.

Does anybody have advice on a good guide gun moose load that you would be willing to share :questionmark:

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
moose105_0310 (2).JPG

Here is the bullet recovered from my moose after it broke the front shoulder. It started life as a 405 grain flat point, plain base projectile and retained almost all that weight.

·
Premium Member
8,497 Posts
looks like good performance to me...the fact that it broke the shoulder on the big deer means it had enough umph to penetrate much, much, further through soft tissue...could it have possibly hit a small branch prior to the moose and just entered on the angle??

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
looks like good performance to me...the fact that it broke the shoulder on the big deer means it had enough umph to penetrate much, much, further through soft tissue...could it have possibly hit a small branch prior to the moose and just entered on the angle??
shoot long enough and you learn that ANYTHING is possible.

Swift A frames (2 from oryx, 1 from kudu).JPG

These are .375 Swift A frame bullets. The one on the right killed a big kudu bull at 275 yards penetrating from above the right hip through the lungs and heart and lodging in the left front shoulder AFTER hitting a twig and impacting the bull backwards (the base was slightly mushroomed and stuck with flesh) the point is near intact but smashed together!

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I would think your current load is a good one. I am running a similar 405 at the same speed with RL7. Seems odd it veered off course, seems like they penetrate like a drill most of the time.

Reactions: groovy mike
1 - 5 of 5 Posts