Marlin Firearms Forum banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
This is what I see on my phone during the hunt. The dog has a GPS collar on him and it shows it on the map with blue line when it's not barking and pink when it barks. It also shows the barks-per-minute (60, whichs means it sees the moose) and the speed it's moving (0 km/h, so the moose is still).

Attachments

·
Registered
5,098 Posts
My friend shot a calf, so we're helping him with gutting. Now we just have to pull the damn thing out of the woods...
Thanks for the terrific photos!!!
That one above reminds me how much the same we hunters are all over the world.
Here's a pic of two of my buddies dressing out a small whitetail buck here in Northeast USA.
Really could be anywhere.

Vooch

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,098 Posts
Okay, I'm all set in the stand. These bushes are the reason why I got Marlin and red dot sight... Besides the road I only have roughly 5-30 meters range where I can shoot with confidence, so using a scope is not a good choice.
I'm curious to know what your partners think of your choice of rifles.
Seems like a great choice to me.
Do they like it?

Vooch

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
40 Posts
Some of them don’t understand it, calling it ”antique caliber on an antique weapon system” or noting that the ballistics for 45-70 isn’t as good as 30-06, 308 or 9,3x62. Which is totally missing the point why I got my Marlin to begin with...

Most of them luckily have gotten the idea and after trying it out have loved Marlin: short, sleek and light, but still has that feel of a real gun on it.

All I can do to convince the rest of them is to keep on knocking down mooses!

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
Great pics and description. Nice to hear how others hunt.

·
Super Moderator
12,974 Posts
Sounds like a good ole Southern deer hunt to me, just with a bigger target and more meat! :top:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Some of them don’t understand it, calling it ”antique caliber on an antique weapon system” or noting that the ballistics for 45-70 isn’t as good as 30-06, 308 or 9,3x62. Which is totally missing the point why I got my Marlin to begin with...

Most of them luckily have gotten the idea and after trying it out have loved Marlin: short, sleek and light, but still has that feel of a real gun on it.

All I can do to convince the rest of them is to keep on knocking down mooses!
I would argue that the terminal performance is SUPERIOR to the other calibers for the ranges you are shooting, as many of the other cartridges will impact at velocities faster than the design spec and result in either blowing up on impact or penciling through.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
I would argue that the terminal performance is SUPERIOR to the other calibers for the ranges you are shooting, as many of the other cartridges will impact at velocities faster than the design spec and result in either blowing up on impact or penciling through.
I do admit that after two short range shots (20 meters and 50 meters), results were great! First one dropped like a ton of bricks and the other ran for roughly 50m more before falling. I have had good short range shots with my .308 too, but I couldn't have taken these two shots with a scope I have on my Tikka (lot of bushes, small opening/haste, bull running etc.) But yes, I'm very impressed with 45-70 and it's performance. I was expecting a bigger exit wound, though. But what matters is that the bulls lungs were pretty much mush and it didn't to far.

·
Registered
5,031 Posts
Hey Verneri - thank you SO MUCH for the extensive posts on the "alg" hunting and how it's done in Finland. I really enjoyed them!

·
Registered
31 Posts
I will loan this topic and send my own addition. We hunt moose in northern parts of Finland where there arent roads crossing, wide wooden areas without residents. Albeit our group has over 20 members, we dont do driven hunts with dogs while hunters await.

We release our dog who finds and tracks down the moose and keeps it still by barking. Hunter has all his equipments in backpack and he walks in the woods while dog does his part. After dog finds the moose, hunter sneaks and tries to get the shot.

I have been hunting like this over 20 years and never shot a moving moose. Personally I love this kind of hunting, when both the dog and the hunter are active. It has been real joy to guide new hunters and lead them to position, where they can shoot their first moose while dog barks around it.

Attachments

21 - 40 of 47 Posts