Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried the Montana Gold bulk bullets in their 1894? Performance on paper and/or game?

I picked up 100- 240g jsp in 44 for $8. The shop owner had high praise for them but he has a financial interest. I loaded a few to try my next trip to the range but I'm hoping there are others willing to share their experiences.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
RANGE REPORT I took two different loads out to the range today. The 240gr Montana Gold Soft Points and a 200g Hornaday hollow point.

The Montana Gold bullet was most impressive. 5 shot group at 50 yards was 1-5/8" with OPEN sights (which my 40+ year old eyes hate) with only a forward rest. The rear sight was set at it's lowest notch and the shots hit point of aim at 50 yard.

I loaded the suggested 240 jsp load on Alliant's website for 2400 powder. Once fired R-P cases, CCI 350 primers, COL 1.600" estimated 1500 fps.

Sunny 78* day, light breeze at my back, 1976 vintage Marlin 1894 with microgroove barrel, 44 Remington Magnum.

The Hornaday load was the 1800fps load from their manual for 2400. I did get a three shot group that was 1-9/16" at 50 meters but only shot 3 shot groups with this load. The largest was 2". Not bad either but shot above my point of aim. The 200g Hornaday cartridges group centers 4" higher than the 240g Montana Gold group at the same lowest sight setting.

All and all I am very pleased with the performance for the price of the Montana Gold bullets. I'm going to load some more and see how it does tomorrow... :D

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Range Report 2

I only had enough time to reload 29 more rounds in 44 but here are the results. Same gun, Sunny, 83* and a wind quarting from the rear Left to right that varied from slight-to strong enough to straighten a 3x5' flag. Only the 240g Montana Gold JSP this time.

WARNING: Loads were taken from published data and proved to be safe in MY gun. Use at your own risk!

50 yards forarm rested on hand resting on top of padded block unless otherwise noted. NO rear rest.

-18.7g 2400, estimated* velocity ~1500fps. First (fowling) shot went 2" right of center bull at exactly 3 o'clock (wind? flinch?). The next 4 shots centered on the bull 1-3/8". 7 minutes to shoot the group.

-20g 2400, ~1600 fps estimated* velocity. 5 shot group opened up to 2-1/2" and 2" higher on target. Brass & primers look good.

-21.5 g, ~1700 fps estimated* velocity. < I HAVE BEEN TOLD THIS LOAD IS ABOVE ALLIANT'S MAX RECOMMENDED LOAD>. 5 shot 2-1/2"(vertical)x 1" (wide) vertically strung group. It was 3" higher and slightly right of center. Possibly the wind pushed this group. Increased recoil was noticeable with this load. Brass & primers look just like the other two loads.

-18.7 g load again, this time NO rest only an elbow on the table. I was hoping to shoot a group worthy of Ranch Dog's Postal Match (open sight, hunter class)so I tried to take my time and really bear down. First two shots inner circle, almost perfect. I checked it out with binoculars and then felt a little pressure... Next shot wide 1-3/4" to the right, not wind, I pulled it and knew it. Dissappointed but willing to live with it I focused on the next shot. Again, inside inner ring touching the other group. I have a 7/8" 3 shot group with an ugly flier... Last shot and I really want to stay inside the group. I spend too much time looking over the sights and don't manage to squeeze off the shot when it was centered on the bull. I know it went left off and hoped (imediately started to pray...) it didn't stray far. Look though the binoculars and dang-it(!!!!) ~3" left @ 10 o'clock. UGLY!

-18.7g at 100 yards, rested on sandbags and I have both elbows on the table. Pretty steady. The wind is blowing pretty good now left to right. The group centers 4.5" low @ 4 o'clock. it's 4" wide and 2-1/2" top to bottom.

*=the velocity someone else published for their Marlin 1894 using the same load.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
RANGE REPORT 3

Back from the range with a little more load data to contribute.

20" microgroove barrel, 44 Remington Magnum, open sights, from bench with forend rested on sandbag. 85* sunny, clear and windy;

200g JHP Hornaday #4410
22.8g of 2400
CCI 350 LP magnum primers
COL 1.600"
Winchester & PMC once fired cases (1.275")
LEE Dies
1960-1967 fps (only chronographed one group)
1-3/4" group @ 50 yards (Shoots 4" above point of aim at 50 yards)
4-1/2" group at 100 yards (wind quartering fron rear left to right, 4 of 5 shots inside 3-1/2")

240g Montana Gold JSP
18.7 g of 2400
CCI 350 LP magnum primers
COL 1.600
R-P once fired primers
Lee Dies
2", 2-1/4", 1-3/4", 1-1/2" & 1-3/4" Groups @ 50 yards
Shoots point of aim at 50 yards.

357 Magnum (18" ballard groove barrel)
158g Hornaday XTP
14g 2400
once fired Fedral & A-Merc brass (~1.287")
CCI 550
COL 1.590"
50 yard groups =1-5/8" to 2-3/8"

It was too windy for the benchresters but a few of us lever shooters hung out and punched a few holes in the paper.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
wet dog thanks a bunch for the info,well written...excellent.
ever try standard primers instead of mag's??.I haven't used a mag primer...yet.
pete

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll have to try some standard primers and see what happens. So far I haven't been too creative. I'm your basic cookbook reloader.

Will it change the velocity or pressure?

I enjoy reloading and find it very satisfying when a load shoots well in one of my rifles. Shooting is fun so "testing" is a good excuse to get to the range.

I really appreciate pards like you posting their data & results. I've learned more about reloading in these forums than in any manual. I try to do my part and contribute whenever I can.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
if I remember right(old beat up G.I.)they said in the article that there could be a pressure spike up to 5,000 psi using the mag primers.I will dig around and see if I can find it.
I am a avid reloader and cast all my own bullets.my biggest deal was dropping my first deer with my handload and cast bullet.dropped a nice 8 pt with my 375 win and a 270 gr gc bullet.he went straight down,way kool.
pete

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Pete, email sent. I'd like to learn more about your reloading and hunting. Cast bullets intrigue me too.

Wet Dog
aka Mo

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
txpete said:
ever try standard primers instead of mag's??.I haven't used a mag primer...yet.
pete
I've switched to the standard LP primers. The accuracy is the same, maybe even slightly better. The velocity has been reduced ~ 80 fps average.

I took it out again this weekend and it continues to impress me. I'm testing the 18.7g /2400 load with the Montana & Remington 240 HP bullets, CCI 300 primers (standard LP).

With the Montana Gold 240g JHP I had a four shot 1-7/16" group with open sights at 100 YARDS. The Yellow light came on before my I could take my fifth shot and the range master gave me permission to touch it off. I rushed it and sent a flier 3" left. DANG!

I didn't have as much luck with the SJHP remington. While the accuracy was OK, ~3" was the best I could do. I think with fresher eyes I might have done a little better though.

I'm sold on this great little carbine. I'm very excited about taking it hunting next month.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts