Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, here's the thing. I'm primarily an elk hunter. I've never taken, or had an opportunity to take, an elk with my 2007 .308MX although I've got a lot of mileage underfoot trying to do it. Right up front I'd like to say I'm not interested in changing that rifle for a .338MX as I can only hunt one and this is the one I brought to the dance. It's been remarkably accurate, flawless in performance, and a joy to carry. Sticking with it.

I've been looking over the figures for the 140 Monoflex and unless I'm missing something it looks like the ballistic twin to a 7mm08 and the Barnes 140 TTSX. Wouldn't hesitate for a minute using that setup where I hunt so I have high hopes that this new Monoflex setup works out.

On another note I don't really care what they cost. I remember buying Partitions individually blister packed at a dollar a pop. And that was back when a dollar... well, you know.

DJR

·
Registered
696 Posts
I have never had the chance to hunt elk(but I want to) so I really do not know what it takes to kill one. I know they are touted to be very tough but I can not believe that they are made of steel. I think that if you drive a bullet through the lungs and/or heart or the central nervous system they will die. I have come to believe that bigger bullets that make exit holes tend to make animals die faster. However, I do not think it takes a cannon to kill any animal. I cannot believe that your assumptions are anything but right. In relatively open country I had thought about taking a 7mm-08 on an elk hunt. I know that some are all caught up in energy figures but a bullet in the right place kills animals. Some may do it better than others but how much more dead can you make an animal? I too am looking forward to the release of the 140gr Monoflex for the 308me. I just got one and have yet to fire it. My brother has had great success with the 160gr factory load as have many others. I may very well use it this season but the stories of bullets coming apart will be in the back of my mind. My understanding is that if you stay away from heavy bone they work wonders. I have grown fond of shoulder shots when hunting in or near thickets, around water or close to dark. Time will tell for me how things will go but like you I am looking forward to the Monoflex so I have no penetration issues. Best of luck in the pursuit of the elk.
Goat

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yes, I do believe you can get the job done with this bullet but, ELK are very tough critters. I had a friend who used to like to shoot cow ELK with a 22-250, right behind the ear(ex sniper from Viet Nam days totally illegal I might add). Over the years my wife, sons and myself have put over 20 or so in the freezer. I have used a 338 win mag as my go to gun with 250gr up until now. My wife and sons and even I have shot ELK with 280 rem ( a 7mm ) with nosler 150gr partitions. A great combo. I agree with Goat. Big bullet at fast velocities are the way to go with big critters like ELK/Moose. If you are shooting BULL ELK, I'd want a big bullet. Cow ELK you can get away with a little less. Distance is also a factor. 150-250 yards is about what most of us are interested in shooting. Perfect weather/wind conditions dictate 300+ yard and over shots.

I own both Marlins in MXLR 308 and 338. I will be toting the 338 when I go out for an Elk. 200 gr will be just fine due to variable distances.
Moose at less than 150yds I would take Remingtons 250gr. For antelope, deer, and even Big Horn Sheep a 308 marlin express will be the way to go and I think 140 for the first 2 and 160 for the later.

Bullet placement is important as with my old sniper buddy. A heart shot with a 308/140gr will work. But there are a lot of things when hunting that are hard to control. Ballistic table will bear out the comparisons to answer your question. Also Horndays HITS calculator is helpful tool as well. A 270, as Jack O'Conner proved will kill anything in North America. I looked up the data on these various rifles and ammo and I think the 308 marlin is a little light but, it can be done. Good luck and straight shootin ! And use enough gun !

1 - 3 of 3 Posts