Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I sold my 1894c with no safety and birchwood stock and always regretted-
I just put money down on an 1894cs with Walnut stock in excellent condition-545.00 which is a great price, I think for a JM stamp
Here is my question-the bbl reads 357 or 38sp
I recall my first 1894 did not like 38sp
Does this new designation mean that it will shoot 38sp much better?

with thanks!

·
Registered
59 Posts
The first time I tried 38spl in mine, it was jacketed flat nose that was a little short and jammed evertime. 357 shot perfectly. I changed a few things like the follower and now I don't have any more feed issues, even with the short flat nosed ones. Round nose feeds fine too. The things I changed which may have helped were switching the plastic follower to a stainless one (and new stainless spring at the same time), switching to a "medium" loop lever, and switching to a Ranger Point extractor. The most likely candidates are the Ranger Point extractor (not entirely sure how) or the new follower spring. My carrier has the "Marlin groove", so I don't know if it will eventually get worse and jam more, or if it has worn as far as it will wear and so continue to feed as it currently does.

In short, some appear to feed differently than others out of the box, but I'm pretty sure you could tune nearly any of them to feed both 38 spl and 357 reliabily.

Best of luck to you on your new purchase. Great price IMHO.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I just put money down on an 1894cs with Walnut stock in excellent condition-545.00 which is a great price, I think for a JM stamp
!

How the heck do members always FALL into these deals ? :dontknow:

·
Registered
368 Posts
!

How the heck do members always FALL into these deals ?
I know what you mean, there is a 44 mag ss about to be sold on gb for like $700!!

·
Registered
856 Posts
My 1980-made 1894C is not stamped for .38, just .357. However, it shoots .38 just fine.

Reactions: Marlinjunkie

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks friends for all the good words- after selling my 1894c some years ago, I regretted it ever since, and could not replace it for less than 1k. Finding one for 595.00 was the jackpot-because I've bought a lot of firearms from him,my LGS gave it to me for 545.00. It is a safety model, but I can live with that. A few dings in the stock, but I plan to put a butt cuff on it. It looks like it was used for hunting, and not shot a lot. I think that gun sales have slowed around here, so maybe that helped.
On another note-I want to say that after I sold my 1894, I stayed off the forum for a while and it is GREAT to be back-this is the best forum on the 'net

Reactions: Marlinjunkie

·
Registered
856 Posts
How the heck do members always FALL into these deals ? :dontknow:
I know, right? I think sometimes the sellers don’t know what they could get if they asked...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.