Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A store in my area is selling boxes of Monarch 30-30 ammunition. I've never come across this brand before or heard anything about it. Anybody on MO have any insights about Monarch ammo?

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
A long time ago Federal made center-fire ammuntion under the Monarch (or was it Monark?) brand. Came in red boxes with blue and white labeling. Seems to me that I've read of Balkan-area ammunition that may be coming in under the the Monarch brand. Best thing to do is ask to see a box and check its origin...

·
Registered
356 Posts
I have used Monarch Ammo before in my 30-30 as well as my 9mm pistol. It comes from Academy Sporting Goods. For the 30-30, it was a much weaker round than Remington core lok as well as the Winchester 30-30. I was sighting in my new ghost sights and when I zeroed with the Monarch at 50 yrds, I went to Winchester 170 grain, and I was six inches higher. There were 2 occasion that the spent monarch round got stuck on the breach and it took a heck of a time getting it out. The brass expanded after I fired the round. I only shot 20 rounds with my 30-30 and will never use it again. The ammo is very dirty (both 30-30 and 9mm) and the rumor is that it is corrosive, so you will have to clean you firearm immediately after using the ammo.

For my 9mm, I use the brass Monarch for practice because it is cheap and I have not had any problems with mi Springfield XD, but it is very dirty and I have to do a throrough cleaning of the handgun when I am done.

My 2 cents, hope it helps

·
Premium Member
9,465 Posts
Yeah, I remember reading a number of negative reports on Monarch .30-30 ammo on here a while back. You can't beat the price, but if it gives problems, it just isn't worth it.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Where is the Monarch ammo from Academy made? I think that is the brand name that Canadian Industries Limited sold centerfire ammo under at one time. They loaded some rounds that were obsolete in the US at the time - .38-55, .32-40, .32 rimfire, and .22 Savage Hi-Power.

I still have a few boxes of their C.I.L. .22 Long ammo sold by Oklahoma Tire & Supply stores back in the 60's. They also sold Canuck brand shotgun shells.

Cedar Creek

·
Premium Member
13,209 Posts
I got about 6 boxes of it sitting here at my house I bought for nothing more than sight in ammo izhave shot about 2 boxes out of my 30-30 and shot 2 boxes out of my CZ 9pm all of it went bang didn't have any issues with the ones I got!!!
I also bought mine at the local Academy!!As for where it was made the ammo was manufactured in Serbia!!!

·
Premium Member
6,854 Posts
I've used it without issue. It's very cheap. Accuracy wasn't great. I've used in my AR15 and I think I shot a box or two in one of my 30-30s. For rough sight-ins it's ok but, you need to switch to better ammo for the final clicks. Lately, I've walked past it to spend a few more bucks on higher quality ammo. Remington and Winchester ammo for the 30-30 is so cheap, I see no reason to cut corners.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts