Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I stopped by the Academy on the way home and saw a lot of boxes of 30-30 Monarch 170 gr rounds for 13.99/box. I have used Monarch through my .40 Berretta with no problems and wondered if anyone had used the Monarch 30-30 rounds and what their experience was. I have heard it is dirtier than Remington or Winchester but that hasn't been my experience with the .40 S&W rounds.

·
Registered
5,725 Posts
I stopped by the Academy on the way home and saw a lot of boxes of 30-30 Monarch 170 gr rounds for 13.99/box. I have used Monarch through my .40 Berretta with no problems and wondered if anyone had used the Monarch 30-30 rounds and what their experience was. I have heard it is dirtier than Remington or Winchester but that hasn't been my experience with the .40 S&W rounds.
I bought some awhile back, and it was a complete failure in my Henry H009. The brass got stuck in the chamber, and I had to tap it out with a cleaning rod. I used the rest in my 336, where the empty brass was sticky, but still could be ejected using the lever.

This was in complete contrast with my experiences with Monarch 9mm FMJ. That stuff, back when I could get it regularly, was cheap, and worked just fine for target practice.

As I understand it, Monarch is Academy's store brand. They don't make any ammo themselves. Rather, Academy buys it from a number of different suppliers.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I have put a lot of 170 gr. Monarch through my 30-30 Marlin. Not one issue. It is no dirtier than anything else I have shot, is fairly accurate, and I use the brass for reloading. I never had the sticky chamber issues. I believe that it is made by Prvi Partizan in Serbia. Never have used it for hunting, but I wouldn't hesitate to do so. Here's a couple of targets shot using XS ghost ring sights at 50 and 100 yards off a bench. Good enough for me. View attachment 30-30, 50 yds. XS Ghost Ring Sights.jpg View attachment 30-30, 100 yds. XS Ghost Ring Sights.jpg

Ditto1958 -

I miss those days of cheap 9mm Monarch ammo too. $70.00 for 1,000 rounds was a great price, and I burned up a lot of it. Just about the same price for the 7.62x39, as I recall. Man, we did not realize how good we had it.

·
Registered
5,725 Posts
Mike, I've been noticing that some of the stores around here are awash with 9mm, 40 and 45 acp. Only a matter of time (I hope) before prices fall substantially.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
I tried Monarch 30-30 with mixed results. While it appeared dirtier than say Federal or Remington, my main reason I quit using it was a noticeable difference in recoil in a few rounds. Some rounds had very little recoil and a few could pass for my .444. Not a scientific test but it was enough to worry me.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Boxer primed?

Stopped at a Gander Mountain store along I 75 in Ocala Florida this past Saturday. Ammo everywhere. I mean stacks and stacks of most everything, except 22 rimfire, you could want. Many were brands different from normal. some looked surplus, many were Hornady American Whitetail and there were others. I saw literally cases of different 30-30, 270 and 30-06.

Ammo was there, prices seemed fair in today's market and seem to be coming down.

Reactions: Tar_Heel 336

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've put a couple boxes of 170gr Monarch through my 336BL. The rounds cycled without any problems and the recoil was manageable. However, my friends (who also own .30-30's) shooting with me were surprised by the amount of noise these round made compared to the U.S. ammo we had on hand (Federal & Remington). Also of note was the massive muzzle flash Monarch ammo had, granted we were shooting at dusk so that probably exaggerated the effect.

·
Premium Member
1,341 Posts
No experience with the monarch 30-30's but I have been using a lot of monarch 308 brass left over from plinking. Weight sorted and neck sized turning in some really nice groups with it through a remmy vtr. And actually the factory monarch stuff didn't shoot all that bad either. Best I recall it shot about moa.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts