Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was in Academy (sporting goods in TEXAS) and noticed a new box of 30-30 ammo. It is made in Serbia? or somewhere's thereabout. Have any of you tried this yet? It sells for a few dollars less than the American brands. While I reload for my 30-30s, it is always fun to experiment with "new" stuff when it comes out. The bullets appear to be similar to the old Federal line, extremely flat nosed.

Papalote

·
Registered
5 Posts
30 30 ammo

What were they asking? I have an Academy near me, (Arlington). Thanks, James

·
Registered
562 Posts
I've never heard of it. I'd pay a couple bucks extra for American made ammo, too. But, I wouldn't hesitate to buy one box just for kicks and to see what it's like. I wouldn't buy it all the time, though. You load your own - so it's not like Remington is losing out on a sale, anyway.

·
Premium Member
2,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have yet to buy any of the imported ammo. I use American components. Just wondering if it was widespread just yet. The cost per box was under $6. IIRC. I was surprised to see this on the shelf.

I am sold on the Winchester PP 150s and have a large stock laid by. I load with RE7. It seems to be very popular.

But with that said, how many of you shoot RE7? It is an imported powder, made in Sweden, I believe. I am sure there are others.

Papalote

·
Registered
562 Posts
Huh. I didn't know that. I think I heard that some of the IMR stuff is made overseas, too. But, wasn't IMR just bought out by Hodgden? I never thought about where my powder is made. I'll have to look at my can and see.

I'm really more concerned about where the company is domociled than strictly where the product is manufactured. Anyway, we all want to do what we can to support USAican workers and the USAican economy, but it's impossible to entirely avoid purchasing foreign made goods.

I'm still curious to know if the Monarch ammo is any good.

·
Premium Member
12,094 Posts
I just looked & all my powder says made in USA on it, RL7 included.
Thats some Hodgdons, Alliant, IMR & Winchester.

·
Premium Member
2,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My newest purchase of RE7 and it was made in Sweden. The prior units I have were made in the USA. I struggled with this as I thought of if imports were to ever cease. RE7 has been very consistant for me and accuracy is great, so I continued to purchase it.

Papalote

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
Papalote,

I recently got some Re7 to load in my .444 but haven't shot any of it, yet. Also, haven't loaded it in 30-30.

Right now I am trying BL-C(2) in 30-30. At the range today 36.0 gr. BL-C(2) under 150 gr. Rem. (bulk) Core-Lokt with CCI 200 primer, in assorted brass gave an Ave. MV of 2236 from my 20" levergun.

It grouped pretty well for 5 shots but I was really focused on getting the Chrony data. I put 3 shots into 0.80", the 4th pushed it to 1.435", and a flyer blew the full group to 2.85" using 4X scope.

At 100 yds. this duplicates POI of Win. factory 150 gr. PP ammo and strikes about 1 1/2" below POI for 160 gr. LEVERevolution ammo out of my gun.

What's your Re7 load?

·
Premium Member
2,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The load my 30-30s like best is the Winchester PP 150 and 28 grs. RE7. Books say this one runs about 2300 fps. The PP is devastating IMO. In recent years I have taken about 6 whitetails with great results. This load is accurate in 2 of my 30-30s. I have yet to test in the others.
I have yet to settle on a RE7/444 or 45-70 load but plan to make that a priority this summer, work permitting.
I also use RE7 in my 308. This is a mild load but is also accurate. My daughter shoots this one.
I use many other powders but have stayed with the RE7 for the 30-30 and 308 because I am not sure I could improve them by much. My other powder of choice is IMR 4064 (.30-'06 and .270)

Papalote

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Even though Hodgden bought out IMR, the plant making it is still in Canada. I'm not even sure Hodgden "bought" them out, but just acquired the U.S. marketing rights. Maybe somebody knows for sure what the dope is on that.
Paul B.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Hodgdon did purchase IMR. They are still making IMR powder from the same plant and carrying the same types of IMR powder, but purchased all the assets of IMR.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Monarch ammo

Just bought 2 boxes of 150 s, they were $6.86 each. I remember when Core-locks were about as cheap as you could get, but now they are around $11 even at Wallyworld. I hope to try these out soon. James

·
Registered
74 Posts
Monarch Ammo

My son and I have tried the ammo ;170grn and 150grn. We like the way it shoots. There were no misfires or problems chambering or ejecting the round. My son preffered the 150 grn., stating less recoil. Didn't find any excess soot or fouling. Attractive price. Good range round.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts