Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought the fever had passed after looking at several new Guide Guns in various stores, all of which had cracked/chipped wood and/or canted barrels. But last night after dinner me and the wife went to Cabelas (normally, the last place I'd buy a new gun) to see if they had any powder.

I just had to see what was in the new rack (against my better judgment) and sure enough they had an 1895G and1895 there, just teasing me. I ask the fella if I could hold the GG and I looked it over real good...could not find a single thing wrong with it, not a flaw in the wood or blue, barrel had no cant...action was smooth, walnut had a deep rich stain. As much as I wanted it to, not a thing on that gun said "stop." The guy at the counter brought a 2nd one for me to choose from...didn't even have to ask. Picked up the 2nd one, looked down the sights and it was canted something terrible. I said "I'll take the one in the rack" and brought it home.

Also picked up some RX7, already had brass and bullets before the gun (yes I have a sickness like many of us), so I made 50 rounds last night: started at 36gr RX7 under a 405gr Oregon Trail bullet, went in 1gr increments up to 42gr, then made a few plinkers w/Unique. I was not impressed with the Unique loads...maybe I went a little too conservative, but the 13gr load was anemic...shot 8" low at 100 yds. All the RX7 loads were much better, with 39~40gr being the sweet spot...good accuracy and true to point-of-aim at ~70 yds.

I was surprised by the amount of recoil, even with the 36gr load it worked me over pretty good. After 40gr, WOW, I could feel every single additional grain...the recoil was VERY stout by 42gr, which is as high as I went. I read some folks claiming to load 48-49gr with a 400gr bullet..I can't imagine...

I'll post pics of her after cleaning. Don't beat me up too bad fellas, like I said, it was a moment of weakness. I think I'm happy with it :)

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
Jir2267,

Don't know where ya live and what ya hunt, but I have found t 465gr Wide Flat Nose (WFN) cast at 1650fps to be very deadly on deer and elk.

Rather a mid range load in the range of mild to wild.

Much less recoil then early loads I used for hunting with a 355gr WFN cast at about 2300fps.

Plus that boolit/velocity combination was very destructive on good meat!

All that to say this, the 45/70 will get er done at much less then warp speeds.

Hope the rifle works out well for you!!!!!!!!!!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

·
Banned
8,177 Posts
If you looked it over well,you're probably ok.As I posted last week,I also bought a Remlin. But,a 336c 30 30 from Wally World for $350.I checked it out well before I got it.Finish is nice.Not as nice as my 1950's New Haven built 336 or 1977 North Haven built 336's.But it was very acceptable.The Remlin's lever was stiff and had to be worked.It shot as good as the older ones.But it still didn't feel the same.At first I was upset with myself for buying the mutt and thought of selling it!I could still get most of my money back.But,after a few times at the range,it is starting to shoot like a sweet thing.I put Williams fire sights on it and it's very accurate.Don't know now.May still sell it off.I was already offered $325.What to do?what to do? LOL

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jir2267,

Don't know where ya live and what ya hunt, but I have found t 465gr Wide Flat Nose (WFN) cast at 1650fps to be very deadly on deer and elk.

Rather a mid range load in the range of mild to wild.

Much less recoil then early loads I used for hunting with a 355gr WFN cast at about 2300fps.

Plus that boolit/velocity combination was very destructive on good meat!

All that to say this, the 45/70 will get er done at much less then warp speeds.

Hope the rifle works out well for you!!!!!!!!!!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
I appreciate the tip Crusty. Only small deer, pigs and small black bear in my neck of the woods. I don't hunt much anymore though...prefer shooting them steel animals these days.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you looked it over well,you're probably ok.As I posted last week,I also bought a Remlin. But,a 336c 30 30 from Wally World for $350.I checked it out well before I got it.Finish is nice.Not as nice as my 1950's New Haven built 336 or 1977 North Haven built 336's.But it was very acceptable.The Remlin's lever was stiff and had to be worked.It shot as good as the older ones.But it still didn't feel the same.At first I was upset with myself for buying the mutt and thought of selling it!I could still get most of my money back.But,after a few times at the range,it is starting to shoot like a sweet thing.I put Williams fire sights on it and it's very accurate.Don't know now.May still sell it off.I was already offered $325.What to do?what to do? LOL
Keep it if you can. I bet it grows on you after a while. I am liking my new Remlin a lot so far. Much better quality than the 1894 I bought back in early 2012 (never liked it and down the road it went).

·
Registered
4,846 Posts
I have a Remlin half breed, ie barrel stamp= New Haven with Rep proof mark. It looks and shoots fine. The wood is a lot better looking than my 375 that I bought new. When I bought it I made up four dummy rounds and asked the local dealer to cycle them. All went through it with out a hitch so it went home. It now has a Weaver K-3 that I have had for years. It is a very satisfactory rifle. Good luck with yours.

·
Premium Member
4,983 Posts
Congrats on that rifle Jlr! Sounds like you got a great one!
Now to the reloading part, I think you are using too much powder. At 36gr's you should be around 1500fps, if those bullets aren't gas checked chances are you are going to be leading your barrel. I'd knock the speed down quite a bit unless you are working up a hunting load(and even then, you need a gas checked bullets for 1500+fps some say even above 1400fps). I'd drop the powder down to 30gr's and start working up in .5 increments UP TO 35g's, you don't need a lot of speed for this bullet to do it's job. I wouldn't go more than 1400fps with a non-gas checked bullet. Also, slug your barrel if you haven't done it already to make sure your bullets are .002 larger, this also will help prevent leading. To help your shoulder out when you are running them hot, and all the time actually, you could add a Limbsaver recoil butt pad, it just screws in and makes a HUGE difference on the recoil!
Oh, and for "plinking" it might pay to get a lighter bullet, I use the DardasBullet Company 350gr LRNFP, easier on the shoulder and all you need to put holes in paper! If you want to work on loads with speeds in excess of 1400fps take a look at the Western Bullet company's products, you can buy a bag of 50 to try out for under $20, they have a LOT of bullet weights and shapes for you to try out! Good luck with the new rifle!

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
"Keepers' are hard to find these days. Looks like you were one of the lucky ones. :)

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
If it's good it's good and if you're happy with it you made a good deal as far as I'm concerned. It's a shame really that people have to feel guilty over buying a fine rifle just because of what is stamped on it.
Enjoy your new rifle!
Congrats!

·
Banned
651 Posts
Jlr it is ok. I purchased one at Cabela's also and it is fine. Having said that, the remlin persuaded me to purchase a JM model which I posted the pics from gunbroker. Both shoot fine and I get great groupings at 50 and 100 yards on both. For target shooting I load 17 grains of trail boss with a walters .030 wad as a gas check. The bullet is laser cast 300 grain. I shoot 50 rounds no problem and accuracy is great. Hell I was hitting clay pigeons on the berm at 105 yards dead on. Enjoy!!!! No judgment here.

·
Banned
6,933 Posts
Jlr2267

Did Cabelas charge you their advertised price or did they cut you a break? Sometimes when you start stacking supplies and accessories on the counter they get in a more generous mood.

If you don't ask for a discount, you won't get one.

Congrats on finding a good Remlin that actually does what its suppose to do!

Mike T.

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
According to the 2 recent articles by Brian Pearce, in the "Rifle" magazine, in which Brian takes a rather close look at the situation caused by the transition from Marlin to Remington and the move from one factory to another with the loss of many experiences employees, Remington realized, after the fact, that they blew it big time.

The most recent article is in the July issue of Rifle, and in it Brian indicates that Remington has taken steps to rectify the problems they caused and apparently only after the fact realized.

Stupid management!!!!!!!!! Duuuuuuuuuuu!

The glaring problems with fit and finish and quality control which many of you have faced is/was a fact, no question, and Brian's first article published a couple issues back did nothing to gloss it over. In fact, in this last article he said, "Without experienced employees to oversee fit and function, quality fell off sharply with a high percentage of guns failing to work reliably."

Then he goes on to say, "With a new engineering staff, along with a heavy investments in new CNC tooling and blueprints, Marlin leverguns are on their way back, -------------------"

Brian indicates that the most recent Remington/Marlin products he has received for testing are MUCH improved over the production seen after the transition, but he indicates there is input needed from you the customer and he comments on that subject and supplies contact information in the last paragraphs of the article.

Good article and for Marlin lovers, well worth the cost of picking up the July issue.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

·
Premium Member
4,983 Posts
All they need to do is monitor a few levergun forums....like this one....if they honestly want 'hands on" reports. I'll give them a fair shake, the Remlin I bought is very nice....but the many I looked at over the last 2 years were mostly just awful! But...they probably know all that.

·
Registered
146 Posts
In an effort to treat my Remlinitis, I ogled an 1894SBL at lunch today. Action was smooth and the screws weren't marred, but the stock was proud unevenly all around the receiver and tangs. And the front XS sight post rotation to the right was visible to the naked eye. $939. In 2014. So wrong.

·
Banned
6,933 Posts
There is still old stock in LGS. I would wait before buying a Remlin for those of you that are willing to "Forgive and Forget". :knuddel:

As a 2nd Generation Italian American, the previous quoted cliche does not register in my family.

Remember, Italian Americans demonstrated the meaning of the word VENDETTA. What do you expect? :boxing:

I prefer REAL JM Marlins.

Mike T.

·
Premium Member
4,983 Posts
Well being second generation Italian American myself, I can tell you that the family you are referring to haven't ever shopped for an 1895SBL with a JM stamp on the barrel for a decent price! Sometimes, you just gotta go with what is available! Especially after searching for almost 2 years! Of course, now that I HAVE an SBL Remlin doesn't mean I'd NOT snarf up a JM stamped version!

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
In an effort to treat my Remlinitis, I ogled an 1894SBL at lunch today. Action was smooth and the screws weren't marred, but the stock was proud unevenly all around the receiver and tangs. And the front XS sight post rotation to the right was visible to the naked eye. $939. In 2014. So wrong.
I cannot, for the life of me, understand why they are having such a hard time with the sight/barrel alignment. For goodness sake it has been almost 5 freaking years since the changeover. This feature should be 100% checked and rejected if not correct... 5 of the 6 I looked at had the same darn problem to varying degrees.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts