Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I took my Wife for a fitting yesterday. I want to get her a 20 ga. auto loader before this coming dove season. We looked at several guns at my LGS. He let me pull them apart so I could inspect their gas systems. 1st we looked at the Tristar Viper G2. This gun has great fit and finish and the gas system reminds me of a Charles Daly. I had a Charles Daly before that was flawless. 2nd we looked at a Weatherby SA-08. That was my favorite and I clearly like the fact that you have 2 different gas port to change for high and low brass shells. Most gun makers today try to make one system do all and most come up short with cycling issues because of it. The fit and finish was great on the Weatherby too. However there is a problem finding a 20 ga. in camo and moma wants camo. Next we looked a CZ auto. I know CZ makes very durable guns but this one was horrible. There were machine marks every where including the trigger guard. The inside action slide that holds the breach block had pitiful weld markson it, looked as though someone only spot welded it to the side. I would not recommend this gun to anyone for any reason. We looked at a Stoeger semi-auto, not bad but clearly not in rank with the Tristar or Weatherby. I know these are Trurkish made guns but I could not find an American made shotgun of better quality for the same price point. The only used gun he had that caught my attention was a Ducks Unlimited Franchi 12 ga. Man that gun was sure a beauty and very clean. I would say this gun is in 99.8 condition. His asking price was $895.00. I saw one last night on gun broker going for $1150.00 and starting bid was $895.00. I believe the gun I saw was a never version because I believe the engraving was better or different. Any one interested in it let me know I will provide location for inquireies. All in all the my Wife liked the Tristar, anyone have one that can provide review. I know the reviews where poor on the original Viper but the new improved Viper 2nd generation seems to be good. I would rather hear from our member's than other forums. I go to other forums but frankly they piss me off. They don't answer question only try to brow beat a fellow down if he can't buy a B gun. Believe me I would if I could and many other's can't either.

·
Super Moderator
15,896 Posts
FWIW, I bought a TriStar® Viper, albeit in 12ga; for my eldest grandson as a HS graduation gift in 2008. Gun has had a lot of use w/ZERO MALFUNCTIONS. I plan on getting a TriStar® Viper 2 in 20ga for myself.

Reactions: Pat/Rick

·
Premium Member
9,038 Posts
David, good to hear, I've been kicking the idea of a semi auto around myself (among countless other guns LOL!).

·
Registered
390 Posts
Never been a fan of semi autos so no help there but in case you don’t know, hydrographic dipping shops are everywhere now. So look for the gun you like then can have it custom dipped with the camo pattern she likes.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I thought about that myself but still like a fresh gun to start good memories with for my wife. She shoots pretty good as it is and would love to get her dove hunting with me. The first time I took her 2 boys and mine hunting doves we got 2 limits and a half. when I showed my wife how to cook them, she had just finished the first batch out of the skillet. I walked outside to do something as she started the second skillet full. When I came back in there was a plate next to the stove with a piece of paper towel on it and another towel covering the breasts. I lifted the towel to take a gander at those scrumsius bird breasts and saw only bones. She looked at me with puppy dog eyes and said ya'll might want to go back out and get some more. Can't wait until September and watch her fill her belly.

·
Registered
11,600 Posts
I thought about that myself but still like a fresh gun to start good memories with for my wife. She shoots pretty good as it is and would love to get her dove hunting with me. The first time I took her 2 boys and mine hunting doves we got 2 limits and a half. when I showed my wife how to cook them, she had just finished the first batch out of the skillet. I walked outside to do something as she started the second skillet full. When I came back in there was a plate next to the stove with a piece of paper towel on it and another towel covering the breasts. I lifted the towel to take a gander at those scrumsius bird breasts and saw only bones. She looked at me with puppy dog eyes and said ya'll might want to go back out and get some more. Can't wait until September and watch her fill her belly.
Great story, made me smile. If she likes Dove, she oughta' love Quail hunting them too... :biggrin:

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Between the fox's and coyote's we don't have many quail left to hunt in our area anymore. When I see a covey anymore I don't even mention it to anyone but I wont hunt them either.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts