Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my GBL. Love it ...I'm gathering my supplies for reloading .... I found some bullets 405gr hard cast lead. But there are two choices wax lubed or moly coated.... What do u guys use?

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
I have only shot the wax lubed. It looks like Crayons. That is for someone else's cast. For my own I use a real soft lube designed for black powder.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
it really does not matter i have used mostly the way lube on cast bullets . they say molly can cause rust problems in 100 percent humidity but i have no proof of this just what i herd i would not shy away from either buy whats cheaper just my two cents

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The website cbbullets says molly is cleaner and higher velocity. Its also $10 more per given quantity.... Not really sure .... Usually I relaod plated lead Berry's for my pistols and fmj for my rifles

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
WAX!!!
When you recieve 'em tumble lube in JPW/LLA mix for a non sticky protection against leading.
i only shoot my own bullets, and they're all gas checked, wax lubed, then relubed as above, and I've never experienced any leading whatsoever.
Some folks will hold that this is overkill, but I've never had to spend hours and elbow grease de-leading a barrel.

·
Registered
97 Posts
My experience with moly as the only lube used on cast has been ok at low velocities in pistol length barrels but as things speed up in longer barrels leading comes quickly. Unless you pre-treat the barrel with a moly solution it does not seem to have enough on the bullet to make it to the muzzle and you get leading close to the muzzle. The higher the velocity the quicker it occurs. Wax lubes hold up noticeably better all around.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts