Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Crazy, I know. But the price of 1894c's have gone up, if you can find one. The cost of just the brass in 35 is $.40 each. I can buy 38 special bullets for $.28 each.

My daughter has conversion kit for her AR that will convet from 223 to 22LR. Has anyone looked at an insert or rechamber a 35 to 38?

·
Premium Member
8,309 Posts
I'm not a gunsmith, but common sense would tell ya that a rebarrel would have to be done along with the proper sized ejector/follower thingy. A .35Rem cartridge is longer and wider than a .38. Wouldn't it be easier and more cost efficient to download some .35 Rem and use cast boolits?

·
Registered
522 Posts
Even if you could find an chamber insert that would work, you would still need to address the feeding issue. For a coupled of years in the middle 60's Marlin produced a 336 in 44 Magnum. The carrier design was different and from what I understand almost impossible to find now.

If cost is your primary concern just load cast or jacketed pistol bullets in the 35 Remington cases, it will cost you the same to load those as it would to load 38 Special.

·
Premium Member
2,130 Posts
neilca,
Beginning in 1899, Winchester made Supplemental chambers for several different calibers.
Here's one for shooting .32 Colts in a .30-30.

A Supplemental chamber could be made for shooting 38 specials in te 35 Remington by a machinist.

w30wcf

·
Registered
9,157 Posts
And if you don't reload, keep an eye open for a 357 rifle. They do come around once in a while. You can always get a different brand, even a single shot while you look for an 1894C. DP

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
W30wcf,

That is what I am talking about. Was the supplemental chamber inserted into the barrel and rounds feed in or were multiples used and loaded as if the full size bullet?

As for the feed the rim of a 38 is only 0.020" smaller in diameter tham the 35, I think the bolt and ejectors will work. I will have to limit the travel of the bolt to allow the feeding of the next round. Just thinking out loud.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Simplest is download using a .38Spl +P dose of powder or so....be advised that reduced load brass should be segregated from full-power loads due to case set-back.....if unfamiliar with the concept, think of how a full-power load expands the brass and it grips the chamber in a fairly uniform manner aside from the casehead, while reduced loads will not, or not near so equally, so the neck might expand while the rear part is still moved backward until stopped by breachbolt....this can shift dimensions considerably, and lead to problems if full power loads are then fired in such altered brass, perhaps even a seperation....you might even have a problem with primers getting pushed back....the easy fix for that is to drill out the flash hole just a bit....this all sounds ever so much more complicated than it is....normally, just put a stiff pistol dose of powder in the case, and try to get cartridge overall length close to the round it was designed to feed, even if seated out a bit, and use the same cases for the light loads.....complicated would be using an insert which would be single loaded with the sub-caliber round inside the insert....there are still makers of chamber inserts, if something such as that appeals to you....i think the largest market for them are people who want the gun to shoot even if original ammo impossible to find, such as a large scale disaster

·
Premium Member
2,130 Posts
neilca,
The Winchester Auxiliary chamber was designed to be loaded, inserted in the chamber, fired, removed from the chamber and the inserted sheel casing removed, then repeat.

In order for an Auxiliary type chamber to stay in the rifle's chamber so that just the .38 Specials could be extracted, there would have to be something added to the Auxiliary chamber to hold it in place. Perhaps an "O" ring would accomplish that with a shallow "o" ring groove cut into the Auxiliary chamber. Clearance for the extractor would also have to be cut.

It is doubtful that cartridges could successfully fed from the magazine due to the difference between the two cartridges lengths without some internal modifications.

w30wcf

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have looked over the options and the cost and I think I shall wait for a 1894c to come my way. It was fun thinking about this.

·
Premium Member
4,921 Posts
I shoot .357 bullets in front of 9.5 gr of Unique in my 35 for accurate cheap plinking. No problems cycling. Fom

·
Registered
158 Posts
I have a chamber adapter for my 30-30 that will shoot .32acp. I got It to put in my pack while hunting so I could shoot small game if needed. First you put a bullet into the adapter and then the adapter into the chamber. After it's fired both are extracted and you need somthing to poke the shell out. Its a pain to use and not accurate enough for what i wanted but can still be fun sometimes. (Load it and let a friend shoot without telling them and see how much they flinch) ::)

http://www.mcace.com/

·
Registered
122 Posts
I just bought another .35 for the same reason, everything aside from cases is standard reloading fare, something like Herco or Unique and 9-10grs, and using common .38Spl/.357 bullets....can't get any better than that, PLUS the normal high-powered stuff.....for something even cheaper and milder and still good for close shots on deer, i simply use a 32WCF.

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Dang it 336-for-life,

I had to call MCA and now have a check in the mail for their 35 Remington to 9mm insert. A little pain to load but dirt cheap to shoot.

Thanks ;D

·
Premium Member
5,103 Posts
Thats neat as all get out <<<------ Whatever that means? ;D

Has anybody else bought any of this companys products? I'm interested in their shotgun inserts to pistol and rifle cartridges. Any reports of accuracy or anything at all to do with them? .DT

·
Registered
158 Posts
I would love to get a stoeger condor outback and install two 18" 45-70 inserts with silver solder. The extracters could be modified to work with 45-70 and it would be a lightning fast double rifle. :eek:

·
Registered
158 Posts
neilca said:
Dang it 336-for-life,

I had to call MCA and now have a check in the mail for their 35 Remington to 9mm insert. A little pain to load but dirt cheap to shoot.

Thanks ;D
I'm glad I could help :)
I would definately use mine more if 32acp was as cheap as 9mm.
We are gonna need a range report when you get it ;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts