Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been pondering taking one of my 35's and cutting her down to a 16.5" barrel and putting the 336D in the safe to keep it "fresh" Have been running searches and scouring ebay, midway and brownell's for a crowning tool that will cut the crown back to factory. All I seem to come up with is the 11/79 degree "target crown" tools. would this be sufficient to use as a crown for a "woods" gun or do I need to consider something different. I know that I have to true up the face prior to the recrown to ensure the precise crown and will order the facing tool for that but what should I do as for the crown. Someong in the past (MarlinTalk) recrowned with the ball out of a computer mouse and lapping compound. Is this accurate enough? I would love to have one of those 336SS in the 35 but all the shops I go to they look at me like I have 2 heads, "never heard of the thing" or "Marlin does not make that model" PinHeads! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
42 Posts
square the muzzle, a brass crowning ball in a drill chuck with some valve grinding compound works fast and easy.

Unless your trying to build a benchrest marlin :wink:

·
Premium Member
2,403 Posts
I know where there is a NIB 336D for sale, at least it was there 3 weeks ago. You could buy a safe queen and continue to carry your 336D shooter. PM me if you are interested. I have no interest in the NIB, just saw it at a gun shop.

Papalote

·
Administrator
23,798 Posts
Custom Rodsmith, the target crown or any crown that rebates the bore and protects it is okay. I've squared a bbl and rebated with a chamfer tool made for taking the burr off brass. Though at this time in my life I would use my lathe and make a brass pilot for lee case trimmer and rebate the rim with a chamferring tool. I once cut 4 inches off a Remington 700 BDL Varmit rifle I purchased because it was shot out. (The former owner cleaned it from the muzzle) this in cal .222 with a hack saw, squared it with a file and a square, rebated the bore with a center drill. After working loads up for bench shooting, it did group below .5 at 200 yds using H4198 and nosler 50gn bullets. To make things simple buy the tool and use it, unless you access to some machine tools.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts