Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a stainless skinner peep on my guide gun and would like to have it drilled and tapped for the extra aperature hole for storage when using my sight as a ghost ring,would it be possible to send it in and have it modified.It is a great sight and would be perfect with that mod.

·
Registered
890 Posts
I was also wondering where to keep my aperture when not in use.

I thought I might check into a dovetail filler with a threaded hole to screw it into. Might even be room for a couple of them.

·
Vendor
1,942 Posts
Hello Dave,

Yes, send me your sight and I will drill and tap it like our XA series sight. $20 which will include shipping and an extra aperture of your choice.

The idea of a threaded hole in the dovetail filler isnt a bad idea... I'll kick that one around. Might be a good choice with the Skinner "Express" sights.

The aperture will not fit in one of the sight screw holes. I could make an adapter that would allow an aperture to be kept there but it would only work with the 1895/336 standard sights. Our 94, Tactical, and Express sights would sit to low to see over the top of such an arraingment.

·
Registered
890 Posts
I have a good idea occasionally.

I have been wondering where to store my aperture if I take it out, and there aren't any good options. I know if I drop it in a pocket it's lost. I may as well throw it on the ground to save time.

I think I am going to buy a dovetail filler and tap a hole (or 2) in the top. It may look crazy, but it should be functional.

·
Premium Member
1,547 Posts
Small word of caution. The sight aperatures can and will work out! I lost one out of the sight base from bouncing around the mtn on a 4 wheeler. If you store one on the rifle, make sure you include a set screw, or check it often! Sucks to loose one in the middle of a hunt!

·
Registered
96 Posts
I was looking at some high-dollar custom bolt-makers sight, he put a small cavity under the pistol grip cap to store an extra front sight post. It would probably work for an aperature, too. Of course, you'ld have to keep a screwdriver handy.

·
Banned
610 Posts
1R said:
I was looking at some high-dollar custom bolt-makers sight, he put a small cavity under the pistol grip cap to store an extra front sight post. It would probably work for an aperature, too. Of course, you'ld have to keep a screwdriver handy.
Doesn't everyone carry a Swiss Army Knife? ::)

·
Registered
890 Posts
oscarflytyer said:
Small word of caution. The sight aperatures can and will work out! I lost one out of the sight base from bouncing around the mtn on a 4 wheeler. If you store one on the rifle, make sure you include a set screw, or check it often! Sucks to loose one in the middle of a hunt!
I had read about this somewhere else. One solution is to put a small o-ring on the aperture threads to give it enough friction to keep it from backing out by itself. It seems to work on my GG, but I haven't field tested it yet. I'm still trying to find the time to file the front soght and get mine zeroed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts