Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading some other threads on flat point or cup point cast loads and wondered if anyone has tried modifications to factory loaded ammo...especially in 30-30. Although I feel there is nothing wrong with the basic 170 gr. Core Lokt 30-30 loading, maybe flattening out the tip of the bullet or recessing the nose profile to a "cup" may enhance the practical effect on deer? I killed a large doe with Remington's 170 gr Core Lokt hollow point round some years ago and didn't see much difference in HP vs CL bullet designs, but that was just one deer at maybe 50 yards. I have used Paco Kellys modification tools to change the profile of 22 LR bullets for squirrel hunting and there is a difference in the terminal effect between flat nosed, cup nosed and HP .22's when used on squirrels....but not sure if that would translate to 30-30's and deer.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I have heard others say that there is not much difference between the 170 grain HP's and the regular core-lokts, however, if you want more expansion on deer try the Winchester Power Max 150 grain loads.....if you can find them. I used them last season and they worked well.

Other options I have yet to try might be Super-X 150 grain hollow points (expensive and hard to find). I have a box of them but have not shot anything with them yet. Or, if you hand load, the Sierra 125 grain FNHP, or perhaps the ballistic tips made for 30-30.

I guess what I am trying to say is that the ammo and component companies have already done what you want and I imagine it would be pretty hard to beat them at their own game by messing around with bullets on your own.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
RJY66; You make some good points....I just happen to have quite a bit of factory 30-30 Remington SP ammo and wouldn't mind flattening out or changing the loaded bullet profile if it was worth doing; figured it may have been tried before by someone on GBO.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.