Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really don't know where to put this, so if it needs to be moved.......

I'm self employed, so to speak. I work for a wood lot in Phoenix that sells nothing but firewood, and Cooking wood and we have a lot of customers that run restaurants, BBQ shacks, or trucks, and even the odd chuck wagon or three.

Because it is slightly seasonal, and I grew up cooking, and trained to be a chef I'm curious if anyone here runs a Chuck Wagon.
I know during this time is not the best time to start something, I do believe it Is the time for ideas.

I'm curious because I always do side work to supplement throughout the year, and this would give me a chance to get out and 'vacation', while doing something useful, and bringing in 'extra' income.

Any input? Suggestions? Ideas?
Thanks.

·
Registered
4,567 Posts
That is an interesting idea. I think that the first thing that you might want to do is check up on all the health regulations and business permits etc.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Gonna bump an older thread, but I always thought it'd be awesome to partner up with one of the ATV rentals we have here in Az and be the cook. Let them go ride all day or half day and come back to camp where a good ole fashion cast iron meal was being made up. Doesn't have to be fancy, beans, meat, and corn bread, but it would be very cool I think!

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I've spent the last eight years prepping, and selling firewood to local restaurants, food trucks, and for smoker/bbq trailers.
We had a few customers that wood go to the local cowboy matches with their trucks. That's what gave me the idea.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
* Smoker/BBQ Trailers.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I've always been interested in that. Sounds like fun. But I took the conventional route (culinary school, apprenticeship, sous, executive..) and now I teach. More fun, less work, and I'm old. Hard core line is a young man's game. I always thought of a catering truck as the modern chuck wagon.

Reactions: Just Plain .22

·
Registered
4,472 Posts
Had a friend that I met in my muzzle loading days. He was a gunsmith but lived in a small town. When he got older he wanted to go South for the winter and and started an Indian Taco stand (fry bread instead of taco shells) Don't think he got rich from it but it paid for his winter stays in Arizona.

DEP

1 - 9 of 9 Posts