Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the last few years I have come to love Case Color guns, lever guns and SXS's. I always thought that Uberti did the real Bone colored hardening but have been corrected by others. They say everyone is using a chemical coloring now and most will fade with very little cleaning. Can anyone elaborate on this method and is it true everyone is using this process now. I have seen quiet a few Uberti's with what appears to be real bone colored case colors. I have seen pics of Turnbull restorations and they look the besr with the bone colors.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Gabby, go to your local library and check out a book,'' Gunsmithing,'' by Roy Dunlop it has a lot of info on case hardening of firearms. Probably the reason the Color Case by the bone method is due to time it takes and we all know time is money. Craftsmanship and pride in your work are fading fast. Take care, John.

Reactions: wwmartin

·
Registered
11,599 Posts
I was looking into case coloring and/or case hardening not all that long ago because I was thinking of buying a gun with that option. From what I found in a lot of searching is that better modern materials and tooling basically did away with the need for it to be done the "old way" (?), so the process has changed to one more along cosmetic lines anymore giving different results that in the past. Many companies or gunsmiths that still do it seem to want to keep their own processes somewhat close to the vest in exactly what they do to an extent, the materials added etc., to keep their certain colors or effects unique I guess. I did read that it will fade or change over time, and exposure to sunlight and use may speed that up some over the years. I'm no expert, but there is info out there online about it, history, current methods, etc., if you want to dig some. I wouldn't know for sure either, but would assume having it done by somebody specializing in it would give a better quality job that may last longer than mass produced factory rifles with it done.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Very disappointed to learn this. That heirloom firearm you are spending big $ on will have a finish that won't last! Doesn't seem right.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts