Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading the Marlin Bible (Marlin Firearms by Brophy) on page 629 it indicates that from 1948 through 1968 the Serial Numbers were pre-fixed using a letter. An example: 1948 was E and 1968 was AD.

To comply with the new federal firearms law of 1968 Marlin adopted a system of an eight-digit number, with the first two digits identifying the year of production.

From 1969 to 1972, the first two digits of the serial number were the last two digits for the year. For example: 1969 started with 69000000.

My questions are.

If the serial number production year of 1968 was pre-fixed by using the letters AD and the 1969 production year started with 69000000.

Why does my 336 serial number start with 68 951XX.

Also I cannot find in the book where they refer to a Model 336RC. On page 250 it indicates that from 1948 – 1983 the carbine was designated 336C.

I have a Carbine: Model 336RC with the Serial Number starting with 68 951XX.

Is this gun unusual are what?

Someone help me out.

It would be interesting to see if the 1968 catalog referenced a Model RC.

djh

·
Premium Member
9,360 Posts
The only thing I know is that the lots of 336's were stamped RC until 68 or 69 I think. Is your serial number on the top tang or the lower tang? After the Gun Control act of 68 all serial numbers were moved to the top tang so it couldn't be removed from the receiver. If your number is on the top maybe it is a late production 68 built after the law went into effect. You never know what went on with them.

·
Premium Member
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The serial number is on the lower tang on this one.

I just wonder why Brophy did not list the Model RC or mention it in the book. I guess we will never know.

I found part of the answer.

Marlin 336 Year of Manufacture
The following table can be used to date the year of manufacture of a Marlin 336. It is also valid for determining most other Marlin firearm build dates from 1946 to the present.

Marlin year of manufacture maybe determined from the following table of letter/numeral prefixs to the serial number:

Date Prefix(s)
1946 C
1947 D
1948 E
1949 F
1950 G
1951 H
1952 J
1953 K
1954 L
1955 M
Date Prefix(s)
1956 N
1957 P
1958 R
1959 S
1960 T
1961 U
1962 V
1963 W
1964 Y, Z
1965 AA
Date Prefix(s)
1966 AB
1967 AC
1968 AD, 68
1969 69
1970 70
1971 71
1972 72

Starting in 1973, the year of manufacture can be determined by subtracting the first two digits of the serial number from 100: Example: SN 2512345 would have been made in 1975 [100 - 25 = 75].

This chart indicates that in 1968 it could have either the AD or 68 pre-fix.

·
Premium Member
7,250 Posts
Yes David, your 336RC is very unusual, as Marlin actually started the two digit prefixes in late 1968 with the 68 prefix you have. I've only seen one other in all the 336's I've observed, and that's been a long time ago!

The RC on your gun is correct, and not unusual, as most of them had that designation on the barrel. This was just a mistake in Bill's book when he continually lists or refers to the carbine as the 336C, and it should be the 336RC (regular carbine). This was to differentiate it from the 336SC (sporting carbine).-Vall

·
Registered
4 Posts
Marlin Date Codes and Production Variations

Gentlemen

I own a 1957,336RC, P code serial number, with micro groove and no white line on butt plate or no pistol grip cap at all. Also no “tell-tale” screw hole where one might have been. From what I have read, the 1957 has white line, hooded front sight and grip cap.

Can y'all clarify for me please? Maybe left-over ’56 stamped for 1957?

Thanks,

Roger

·
Premium Member
1,215 Posts
I'll add to the data here, in case anyone is compiling these things. I have two 1968s. One is an RC with serial # 68952XX. The other is also an RC with serial # AD600XX, but it has a straight buttstock and a straight (but not flat) lever. The lever is rounded at the back, but it is not curved. It also has a saddle ring. I'm guessing it's an RC Texan? Both have 20" barrels.

·
Premium Member
14,180 Posts
Gentlemen

I own a 1957,336RC, P code serial number, with micro groove and no white line on butt plate or no pistol grip cap at all. Also no “tell-tale” screw hole where one might have been. From what I have read, the 1957 has white line, hooded front sight and grip cap.

Can y'all clarify for me please? Maybe left-over ’56 stamped for 1957?

Thanks,

Roger
Marlin didn't like to throw anything away. If it is a low serial number, then that is what happened. I have a 3 digit 1948 model 336, that the only part that is a 48 is the frame. And even that has
some attribute's of the Model 36. That is from one model to the next. In your case it is just one year to the next.

Here is the 336RC also known as a 336C from the 1956 and 1957 catalog. Gun Firearm Trigger Gun barrel Shotgun
Text Paper

·
Registered
4 Posts
Very informative, Thanks. However, mine says 336RC on the barrel, no while line,etc, SN P45XX, why don't we show the complete serial number, I do not know if Marlin started at SN 1, each year or started at some arbritary number, like car manufactures do.

Roger

·
Premium Member
14,180 Posts
Very informative, Thanks. However, mine says 336RC on the barrel, no while line,etc, SN P45XX, why don't we show the complete serial number, I do not know if Marlin started at SN 1, each year or started at some arbritary number, like car manufactures do.

Roger
Lets start with the 336RC. A Marlin carbine at that time had an RC on the barrel, this stood for Regular Carbine. But as in the catalog they put it down as a 336-C, both mean Regular Carbine
in the Marlin world. I am not sure how Winchester dos theirs and so on. The other carbine was the Sporting carbine. That was marked on the barrels as 336SC.
I believe newer Marlin carbines, just have 336C or 336-C. I only own one carbine and it is a SC made in 1935, so I am not sure when they stopped stamping RC.

As to why we don't put the full Serial number. It is possible for someone, that is up to no good, to take that number and file a Stolen guns report. For insurance or what ever.
So say someday you decide to sell your gun and someone checks the stolen gun database. All of a sudden it looks like you are selling stolen merchandise.
I don't know of it ever happening, but that is one possibility that has been warned of here.

In other words better safe than sorry.

As to the Serial number starting at 1? I would think that they would, but the lowest that I have seen, and have, is a 2 digit number. I am sure most single digit guns are locked away in
big expensive collections somewhere.

·
Registered
4 Posts
You are very, very, informative. This whole exercise is for me to determine if a whiteline is correct for this gun. I know that now, it doesn't make a tinkers Dxxn, but in 100 years, someone my think it is rare. I always keep all orignal parts for everything. I am a Retired Nuclear Engineer and "we" are anal about "traceability".

Rog

·
Premium Member
14,180 Posts
After all that I forgot about the white spacer. Marlin had a White spacer on most, if not all of the 336's from 1950 on. Yours originally had one, ether someone didn't like the why it
looked and removed it, or it had shrunk, yellowed and cracked and was then removed.

I would just replace it with a comparable solid white plastic. I have some that I bought at a hobby store that I replace mine with, others have found items at regular stores that they cut up to
work. The one I have is a White Styrene .080 thick. If you find something close to that it will work fine. Just cut it to the same size as the buttplate.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a 22 Marlin Lever Action with the Serial Number A3328. When I try to look it up the search comes back with a prior to 1881 manufacture. Could this gun possibly be that old? I've had it for over 50 years and don't remember how or when I came to possess it. It might have belonged to my dad.

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
gcooksds,

Here is a link to a chart showing manufacture dates. Unfortunately, I don't see an "A" designation there. Are you SURE of the first two digits? Once in a while, there might be a light stamp. Maybe it was AA which would be 1965 but no, that couldn't be since you say you've had it for over 50 years and 65 is only 48 years ago.

Well, I looked again and there is an A for 1888 but that is not a model 39. I know Marlin made a 22 lever before the 39 but I'm not certain of the model. I THINK it was the 1897 which may be what you have. If so, and if it is in good condition and shootable, you've got a great rifle.

Instead of asking on this old thread, I suggest you post your question in either the Marlin Collectors section or in the Rimfire section. Be sure to provide a couple of pictures because that will be the very first thing asked for.

Anyway, here's the link. Click on the thumbnail chart to enlarge it.

http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/m...ar-code-production-dates-ser-1-sheet-pdf.html

·
Premium Member
14,180 Posts

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
Schtoolee, thanks for that but I must be doing something wrong.

I clicked on all three of the links you show for updates and I don't see anything with an "A" prefix. Except for the non 39 22's and looking again, I think I read it wrong and went across the chart to the right too far. The A shown is for January only and would be followed by a second letter that indicated a year, I accidentally went across the chart to far to the right into the "Production years by model" column and thought it meant 1888 was an A prefix. Since that's wrong, well??

I guess I still don't see what year an "A" prefix would indicate for a lever action Marlin 22.

·
Premium Member
14,180 Posts
I went in to a complete explination on the last post in the other thread.
But an A prefix was used on the last few years of the 92's and 97's. But to the exact year it is hard to say. Can only say it was a year or so ,one way or another.
And if you want to be confused even more ask about the 93's and 94's with letter prefixes.

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
I went in to a complete explination on the last post in the other thread.
Other thread? Guess I missed that one. Might explain things, me coming in at half time and all...

·
Premium Member
14,180 Posts
Other thread? Guess I missed that one. Might explain things, me coming in at half time and all...
Use the link I gave you in post #15 of this thread. That will give you the new ser# and prodution sheets. And also the answer that I gave him, about his model 97, on the end of the thread.;)

1 - 20 of 42 Posts