Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, this is my first post and my first experience with any marlin firearms so please excuse any ignorance on my part.

I recently acquired my grandpas old Marlin model 98. (In truth I believe he said the stock is from an 88, but I don't think it matters.) The gun is beautiful, he's had it since he was in his 20s and has refinished the stock and favored it over all his others because of its accuracy. The only problem is recently it started jamming, and no matter what we do to try to fix it, it never seems to go away.

What seems to be happening is the rim from the round going into the chamber catches on the lead on the round behind it while chambering, thus deforming the lead on the second round and not allowing the first round to chamber.

Any thoughts on what is going on?

·
Registered
854 Posts
Here's a quote from a 2010 thread on this site. Google search can turn up all kinds of help. If the rifle has a straight classic stock, then it's an older model 88; a monte carlo stock is a 98. Shifting to an older style stock could mean older worn parts. Check Numrich for parts.

"That is about what I payed. Unfortunately I haven't been able to shoot it yet. The problem I have, and the problem I have read that others have is. The cartridge stop
is worn. If I load more than a few rounds in the magazine, it tries to load 2 cartridges at once.

I have bought a (new- Old) part but it is only a bit better than the original. I plan on doing a little jury rigging to a part to bring it back to speck, but haven't got to it yet.

So you might get lucky and get a working gun, but you also might get one that needs work.

Here is a picture of the part."
Attached Thumbnails

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I appreciate the quick reply. Google search doesn't find much for model 98 but my google skills might be lacking :) I will look into that part, makes sense.

Oh and you're correct the stock is from a 88, thanks for clearing it up for me.

·
Premium Member
14,191 Posts
I originally thought the problem was the cartridge stop, but after several headaches, with 3 guns that had the same problem. I figured out it was not the stop, it is the cartridge guide. It can't be to tight, and it can't be to loose. I bought some aluminum 22lr dummy rounds, and tweeked the guide until it held back the second round, while feeding the first. I have all 3 guns working now.

·
Premium Member
469 Posts
My first gun was a Marlin 98, it was very finicky about ammunition. Remingtons worked best but this was in the late '50's.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok I think I've narrowed it down to the cartridge feedway. (Thanks Schtoolee!) My problem now is I'm worried about breaking it while trying to bend it to "tweak" it. Numrich is sold out of them and I can't find them anywhere else so if I break it I'm kind of screwed...

·
Premium Member
14,191 Posts
Keep an eye out on e-bay or gunbrokers. The part will probably be under model 88, since there was a lot more made of them.

·
Premium Member
14,191 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.