Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
i`m a newbie to this forum and need some help to identify a Marlin model 94 I have recently purchased.
I own a few other lever guns, this is my First marlin.
Having no prior knowledge regarding Marlin firearms,I purchased what I thought to be an older normal model 94 chambered in 32-20, with a short magazine tube, what I believe to be a factory fitted saddle-ring, BUT..
I can`t find any other carbine even remotely similar to this one on my hours of internet searching, so I thought I`d post it here for the "Experts" to help me with identification.
S/N is 44498*, with no letter prefix

Floor Wood Flooring Laminate flooring Hardwood
Gun Firearm Rifle Trigger Air gun
, I Gun Rifle Shotgun Air gun Trigger
Gun Rifle Shotgun Trigger Air gun
I`d be happy to post more pics if you think they might help.
Thanks in advance,

·
Premium Member
25,367 Posts
That is an early 1894 saddle gun.
Looks original to me.
You need someone with a copy of Brophy's to chime in.

edit-

After looking closer, I wonder if that rifle could have been
altered...is there any evidence that the mag tube may have been
shortened? Perhaps a notch under the barrel close to the end,
where a barrel band screw once was?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply,
no, there`s no marks whatsoever on the underside of the barrel, just the brownish patina that`s uniform throughout the whole firearm
The magazine tube only extends 1.30 inches past the fore-stock and the barrel is 19.5 inches from the muzzle to the chamber end, ( overall length , including threaded portion, inside action)

·
Premium Member
25,367 Posts
Like I said, someone with a copy of Brophy's should look this one up.
There is a member that goes by the screen name Schtoolie who would
know what this is.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your help,
i`ll wait and see if anyone else can offer some explanation,
Nothing on it looks to be "Bubba`d", all metal surfaces have the same colour/apperance,
Some mentioned to me it is a "baby carbine", and it sure is smaller and lighter than my Winchester lever guns.
I don`t even have an approx. date of manufacture, but it seems its somewhere ofter 1906?
maybe Schtoolie will read this post.
Cheers.

·
Registered
856 Posts
I love that rear sight. Very versatile. That alone in today's dollars would be very expensive. Nice find.

Reactions: Ret_Eng and navajo

·
Premium Member
1,129 Posts
That's a nice find, and especially if the bore is good. I would put the date of manufacture at about 1908 to 1910 or so. .32-20 must be an unusual find in a saddle ring carbine like this. Indeed the saddle ring carbine itself in all it's iterations is quite scarce. Marlin only made about 5000 of them. Compare that to the millions of Winchester 94's around in carbine designation.

Reactions: bkg1956

·
Registered
14,566 Posts
I had a similar carbine some years back. Same barrel / magazine & sight, not saddle ring. It was 32/20 also, gun was rough and I
bought it for Lever. I switched out levers, shined it up a bit and sent it to auction at were I just broke even. On guns in rough
condition, that will never be a collector's item, I always keep the sights and replace with bulk stuff from Numerich. Buying these
old guns for parts if they have original sights is a big plus towards breaking even if you are doing a swap out.

·
Premium Member
25,367 Posts
Only thing I have in the safe to compare to that is a 25-20 in a 1894 classic.
It's a more modern rifle with a factory tapped receiver, but nice to have.
I rarely shoot it.
32-20 and 25-20 are fun calibers but more enjoyable and less costly
if you handload.
Cowboy-action guys love them.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Here is a photo from Brophy, p. 211, of an ad for the Baby Carbine.

Gun Firearm Trigger Revolver Shotgun

Here’s a photo of both sides, also from Brophy, p. 215.

Gun Firearm Rifle Trigger Shotgun

it appears that the tang label, “MARLIN MODEL 94” began in 1905. Prior it was “MARLIN MODEL 1894.”

·
Registered
14,566 Posts
I always enjoyed the 25/20 & 32/20 took them out and mostly squirrel hunted with them. My wife used the 25/20 to battle the
groundhogs in her garden. But we have shot them a lot more since 22 ammo went out of sight. Pour my own slugs and a can of
powder goes a long way, throw in a primer and you are shooting as cheap as a 22. My newest 25/20 is a Win 53 from 30s, my
Marlins are all pre 1920s. I spent a lot of time for the loads on these rifles. I found out years ago that these old guns shoot much
better with cast bullets.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Right there in the catalog price is 12 bucks....you got ripped off, I'll give you 15, no questions asked!
Haha! When I saw that retail price, I thought, Oh if only that was what they could be had for today.

It’s pretty doggone amazing what those things sold for, and not that long ago! And our fathers and grandfathers thought they were paying a fortune! Well, in their day, I guess they were.

It’s also hard to imagine those guns could be manufactured with such high quality, and then sold for that kind of price.

·
Registered
856 Posts
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.