Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a nice little rifle that a local lady used deer hunting, pretty sure she had the receiver sight on it !! :'( :'( this rifle once upon a time came from "Schiff the gunman". This is a "RARE" rifle , Baby carbine, caliber 32-20, s/n 318780. i posted on the marlin collectors forum and said what it was and what caliber it was in and the guys there said they never made a "Baby Carbine" in 32-20. So i gave them the serial number and Russ Regnier(sp) , says you are right the factory made "7" of them in 32-20 !!!!!needless to say i was a bit happy. Don

·
Registered
496 Posts
Interesting. I never new the .32-20 was very rare in the baby carbine. I have two, one in .38-40 and one .25-20. Both are in the lower 440000 range.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Parley, I know it pretty much floored me to hear that, i found it kind of hard to believe also!!! i wonder how many baby carbines were made total? you never see very many of them.I'm pretty sure they said most all of them were made in 44-40 and 38-40, that 25-20 has to be real rare also. Don

·
Registered
496 Posts
Something else to keep an eye on. ;) I don't know about the .25-20 being scarce either. Hmmmm. You know what though the records end in 1906 and 355,000. So maybe the information is based on that. Mine are both way above that serial number. So maybe later on they started to produce more of them.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Parley, that could be the answer !! i wonder if anyone has tried to research the baby carbines and get an idea of production and calibers? Don

·
Registered
496 Posts
One would have to do all Model 94's and see what portion were baby carbines. That might not be that hard but it would take a few years. Hmmmm, let me look at my records. I don't show any for those made in the 1921-1935 era. Also none for the WW1 period with the letter prefix. Interesting as those in the time periods mentioned are mostly rifles including quite a few with 20" barrels. Not all that many carbines.

Maybe I should start a baby carbine data base. ;D It is also interesting in the 1921-1935 time period there are a number of Model 93 sporting carbines reported which are basically the same configuration.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts