Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a Model 93 Marlin in 32 Win Special. I told a friend that I should pick up a 336 in 30-30 because I have never owned one. Well a few days later he called and said that I should drive up to his place and we would go look at a Marlin rifle. Well you know how it goes. Old Marlins are fairly rare in my part of the country. This one is very solid and finish wise in pretty good shape. The bore is clean and it shoots where you point it. My question is about when was it built? The serial number is L3XX. According to the Brophy book the L prefix s/n would be from 1954 but I thought 93 production ended with the introduction of the Model 1936. Anybody who would chance a guess? Thanks

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
The prefix system listed in Bill brophy's book doesn't work for pre WWII guns, as you have figured out.
The model '93 with L prefix is a bit of a mystery, but I think it has shown to be very late in the production, from data we've been able to accumulate, plus markings that show later production. My best guess would be in the 1930-35 era.
Could you post all the various markings found on your gun, plus the location of the serial number, and size of the numerals used?
Old Marlins are always a great find!
Hope this helps.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts