Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning I went to the woods for the first time this season and after a grueling 1/2 hour wait sitting comfortably under an oak tree shot my first buck of the season, a husky spike. It was a 45 yard shot using the open sights on my Model 93 carbine, hitting the lungs slightly high directly behind the shoulder. The deer dropped instantly. The load was the Remington 170 gr. .30-30, what I like to call the .300WMWM (for WalMart WonderMag).

This was the first time the 93 and I have been in the woods together, but I think we'll do it again!

·
Registered
623 Posts
Congrats on the spike.

I plan to take my new (to me anyway) 1888 .44-40 hunting this year, if 'n I get a chance to go. Nice to see these old shooters still able to do what they were designed to do over 100 years ago.

Carolina Sorillo

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
Congratulations Pisgah! Great story, and good shooting. Still no deer for me!

·
Registered
145 Posts
A BIG CONGRADS to you on your Buck kill. You just knock the rust off those ole 93's and they will still fire. LOL LOL

SpikeMaster49 :D 8) :lol: :D 8) :lol: :D 8) :lol:

·
Registered
272 Posts
HA HA,,just love it 300 WMWM gotta put that in my book..Happy for you.. It is so silly seeing all these "developments in POWER" needed to take game animals that are the same as they were when Plymouth rock was found..And the increases in handguns are worse yet..I always figured,if you need a rifle to take it down,,then get a rifle..I guess all those deer killed with a 22 short weren't really dead after all.Good eatin' though.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Modoc,
Sounds like there must have been a little ear shooting going on the in Oregan about the same time I believe it was happening in Pensylvania. Depression and also hard times. Alot of families been feed with a .22 rifle.
Glad to hear from ya. Wish I was out there with ya as we speak. Theres a BIG bad Hurricane on its way here. I probably wont have power for afew days so we'll catch up later as in afew days with any luck.

SpikeMaster49 :D 8) :lol: :D 8) :lol: :D 8) :lol: :D 8) :lol:

·
Registered
272 Posts
Spikemaster,,I dunno which is worst all thet wind and water OR the damned cityslickers amovin in on our peaceful lil town..Of course with them they bring the cruddy punks and dopers along as their children.. The old country is shore in need of new thinking up on the COURT level. If I could somehow get power over these creeps,I'd brand them on the cheeks in a way to define their short commings.Such as C-M for CHILD molesters..B-R bank robbers and I'm sure there are initials for them all. But you will never see it as the professional polititions would never stand behind it,,their future might be impared..another great idea..see ya,,modoc

·
Registered
9 Posts
It may be a year later since your post, but I had to chime in and say that I have hunted with my Marlin carbine 30-30 since my dad gave it to me. Actually I hunted with it many years before he gave it to me as it was his.

I've shot many deer with it as my dad did also, he even shot a bear with it. It's one of the best deer rifles that I've owned. Opinions all differ and most of it comes down to a good shot means a good kill regardles of the cal.

Anyway, enjoy your 93 and be safe out there. Tomorrow begins a new deer season and I'll be out there with my 93.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts