Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found a mod 93 32 Spl in a small gun shop that has a lever hard to close. The "bump" on the bottom of the bolt that ***** the hammer seems to be too big. When the lever is opened, the hammer is cocked OK then the bump on the bolt rides on past the hammer. When the bolt(lever) is closed, the bump again contacts the hammer and has to push it down again to ride over it. It seems much harder to get the raised part of the bolt past the hammer than on other marlins I've used. I have a model 36 and mod 94 and the bolt rides past the hammer on closing with much less closing effort.
Has anyone seen this symptom on a 93? What might be causing this hard closing? Any ideas how to fix so bolt will close with less effort? Should I not buy this rifle?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Once in a while we come across an old lever gun that the cocking bump has wore down so much that it had to be re-built with a little gob of weld. Sometimes this is left too high or not formed at the proper angle to allow a smooth ride over the hammer nose from one way or the other. Most times just a quick touch up with a Dremmel or file/stone will ease the effort needed, just be careful that you don't take too much off or it won't kick the hammer back far enough to catch the trigger/sear.

I should add that an extra strong main spring can cause the same restriction of movement problem. Sometimes changing the spring angle to put less pressure on the hammer is all that is needed. You will have to form a wedge shaped washer to fit under the spring where the screw is. Trial & error fitting is required here (can be very "trying", LOL), adjust down to much and you won't "bust" the primers.

·
Premium Member
2,266 Posts
Typically the 93 may seem harder to work the action due to the flat main spring.I have noticed that replacement springs are quite stiff.Your 36 and 94 have Coil springs.The exception is the early 1936 which uses a flat main spring.

·
Registered
8,701 Posts
That is exactly how that is supposed to work.

The bolt does cock the hammer, but the hammer is not fully cocked nor will it stay cocked until the bump on the bottom of the bolt rides over the hammer.

I think you are either not used to the flat mainspring in the vintage rifles or maybe some changes have been made on this old rifle.

Possibly the main spring was replaced with one that is home made or not correct???

The bump on the bolt can be smoothed out some or even the hump on the hammer.

If you remove too much material you may not have enough over travel to keep the hammer cocked safely.

It can take some experimentation, but can be done.

Before doing anything I would do a total tear down on that rifle...clean lube and reassemble!

Good luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts