Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone here give me an idea on date of production for a Model 93?

Info on rifle:
1. "Marlin Model 93" on top stock tang w/(2) tapped site holes
2. 4 digit Ser# 35xx under the lever
3. "Smokeless Special Steel" and Pat'd dates of "Oct. 11, 1887 | April 2, 1889 | Aug 1, 1893" on 20" round barrel
4. also on barrel behind rear site is the caliber "32 H.P.S."
5. Top of receiver has "Marlin Safety"

I'd also like info on where I could get a value on this item for insurance purposes.

No cracks in wood
barrel blueing is nearly 99%
receiver blueing is about 90%
needs a new screw in forearm (old one has screw head stripped out)
minor dings in wood from typical use
rifling is good(still shoots straight)

Thank you for any input you guys/gals might have.

Robert Preston

·
Premium Member
2,130 Posts
knight0334,

According to Brophy's book on Marlin, the '93 designation began in 1905 and ran through 1935. Unfortunately, according to him, there were no records kept by Marlin on serial numbers between 1906 and 1962. The exception to this is the serial #'s with the letter prefix beginning with "E" in 1948.

The .32 H.P.S. is the same cartridge as the .32 Winchester Special which was introduced in 1902.

As far as value, I am sorry I don't have any information on that. You could try doing a search on Google or one of the other search engines under Marlin 93 or Marlin 1893 or you could go to a book store and try finding it in the Bluebook Of Gun Values.

Good luck,
w30wcf

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
30wcf,

thank you for the input. I'm quite surprised that Marlin kept no records for that time period though.

Would you think it fair enuff to assume that a firearm with such a low serial number could possibly be a first year run? being 1905.

I knew the .32 H.P.S. was 32 Winchester, I bought this rifle off a former coworker of my dad about 8-9 years ago. I've used it a couple times hunting whitetail here in PA, plan to use it again this season unless I can get ahold of a Sharps style 45-70(or 90, 100, 110, 120) cheap(I'm dreaming, guess its time for me to wake up).

Again,

thank you.

Robert

·
Premium Member
2,130 Posts
knight0334,

It would be reasonable to think that with that low serial number it would have been made in the 1st or 2nd year of production.

If you would like a copy of the information on the '93 Marlin in Brophy's book, email me [email protected] your address and I will make copies and send them along to you.

Sincerely,
w30wcf

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Knight,
If you gave some more info on the barrel rollstamp, we could narrow down your date of manufacture. Because your gun has a 4 digit serial number, and it is located under the lever, it would most definitely be from post 1922 to 1935. But if it is a Marlin Firearms Co. marked or Marlin Firearms Corporation marked rollstamp, it will vary as to whether it is early 1920's or not.
Also, even though Brophy indicates the model '93 designation started in 1905, the guns were not marked as "Model '93" until after the early 1920's. They had many 1893 marked receivers made, and the only change to model '93 was in the catalogs prior to 1922. There are even some 1893 marked receivers that were assembled after WWI.
Serial numbers weren't kept after 1905, to WWII, but they were kept from 1948 on. The only guns after 1948 that had no serial number code were inexpensive .22 rifles. Even the model 39a had serial number codes, as did all centerfires. The centerfire model 1936 and 36 rifles used various prefix letters, and can be narrowed down to a few years, though not to a specific year, as can the model 39a.
Finally, as to value, it's hard to say, without seeing your gun. One thing you should consider though; your gun is most likely refinished, as they did not have blued receivers on the model 1893 or '93, except for "Black Powder" marked B grade guns. If your gun has a blued receiver as indicated, it is not original, and value will be greatly reduced.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
as it shows on the barrel.

--Marlin Firearms Co., New-Haven, CT. U.S.A.--
--PAT'D Oct. 11. 1887. April 2. 1889. AUG. 1. 1893.--
<>Special Smokless Steel.<>

the "blueing": it looks more like dark gray to black. not so much like a truly blued firearm. The bolt is silverish with case hardened or peened texture that looks to have been sorta polished off some. I do see some evidence of refinishing or cleanup. :( So I'm sure the value has decreased some.

I wish I could describe the coloring better, but I have a hard time telling between colors, and my wife took her digicam with her today.

I'm not too really concerned about the value, the insurance company said to give an approximate value to replace it with as nearly as close of a duplicate as possible, I listed $850 and they were satisfied. It has more sentimentary value to me than it does financial. My dad used to work with the guy I bought it off of back in the '70s, and I ran into him on a jobsite in a neighboring state in the mid '90s after not seeing him in nearly 18 years.

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
You should be covered at the $850 price. I have one in .30-30 that is original, and average condition that I'm selling for $400. So far no takers, but it should go about there.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
30wcf

30wcf,

thank you for the page copies of that book. ..just got them in the mail yesterday. I hope to have some time tonite to read them

Robert.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts