Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my Model 90-12 to a Gunsmith. It was scrubbed, gone over and looked improved but when I fired it the problem continued. Pulling the front trigger first and then the back everything was fine. But if I pulled the rear trigger first both barrels fired. This time it worked fine with birdshot but misfired with buck.
The Model 90 is in great condition for it's age (F-3001). I am very concerned as it is my first shotgun at 14 years old- fifty years ago.
Can anyone help me as to what I can advise the next Gunsmith. I really appreciate any imput. Thanks

·
Registered
337 Posts
I suggest you post your problem on the 16 ga.com site. There are a number of folks who post there who know a lot about Model 90's. Even though yours is not a 16 ga., they might be able to help you.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Barkey. I have trouble signing in. It appears the site doesn't accept Yahoo. I'll keep trying. By the way, even though I live in NYC, I shoot in Maryland and Virginia. I enjoy shooting large Calibers at the NRA range in Fairfax. It wakes all the government types up.

JoeM

·
Registered
337 Posts
Just posted your problem on the 16 ga. site, so we'll see if anyone has any suggestions on how to correct it.

What's interesting is my first "grown-up" shotgun was also a 12 ga. Model 90, G-serial number made in 1950, that my dad bought used for me (paid $38.50) in 1957 or 1958 when I was 14 or 15 (neither dad, now 93, nor I can remember for sure what year it was.) He cut off the stock to fit me and then added a piece back when I got bigger. I still have it and up until about 3 years ago it was my favorite upland bird gun. Three years ago I got a 16 ga. Marlin Model 90 that is now my "go-to" upland bird gun.

·
Registered
337 Posts
joeM,

mdm1 posted the following on the 16 ga. site;

The notch at the rear of the firing pin, where the sear engages, is worn and the sear is not engaging properly.

The front trigger usually gets more use, and therefore, more wear. Still, if fired first, not a problem.

However, if the rear trigger is pulled first, the recoil can jar the lower pin loose, and away you go.

I used a small triangle file to sharpen up the notch on the firing pin. That fixed that problem, but a short time later, I had a problem of not cocking one hammer/pin. The hammer part of the pin was dished and not being pushed back far enough to engage the sear. I may have contributed to the problem with the filing. Either way, it had to be done. If there is a new pin available, it could be easier.

A friend was using my 16 on dove two years ago. He was making some great long/high passing shots, he said it really kicked. It's amazing what you can hit when you use those two oz loads.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
337 Posts
JoeM,

Charles Hammack, who is considered THE expert on the mechanics of model 90's, posted the following on the 16 ga. site in response to your problem:

"Two things as Milton pointed out, one is the sear depth , I dont think this is the problem since the guy has owned the gun from the start.

I would first strech the sear spring up a might, it is after all very old and has lost some tension, this tends to fix this problem in short order."

Hope this helps.

Barry

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Barkey,

Thank you for the follow up. I wish there was some way to repay your kindness.

JoeM.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There was a definite improvement. I didn't know just how much to file so I did just a superficial touch.
The Model 90 would double fire once ever three or four shots. I guess I have to file a little more. I will continue to file a little and test fire. I will also try to order new sear springs. I did stretch them but don't know when it's enough. Thank again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts