Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Evening!

I have a M90 O/U that I have some questions on In reference to its origins, Serial Number 148**.

It also has some Numbering in the stock as well that seem pretty cool. This is a family gun, where it was originally obtained you would have to ask my Grandfather.

Thanks Everyone!

Semper Fi!

·
Super Moderator
16,706 Posts
Welcome from Alabama...

Probably from a law enforcement agency of some kind... Like a prison or jail... They often numbered the firearm exactly like your one... When they got a batch of new ones, the old ones where sold off or given to friends or employees...

They started production in 1936... Here is the breakdown...

·
Registered
337 Posts
Welcome from Alabama...

Probably from a law enforcement agency of some kind... Like a prison or jail... They often numbered the firearm exactly like your one... When they got a batch of new ones, the old ones where sold off or given to friends or employees...

They started production in 1936... Here is the breakdown...

View attachment 829164
I don’t think the breakdown regarding Model 90 ST’s is correct. According to Brophy in his book on Marlin Firearms the ST was introduced in 1953. It stopped production in 2959 but continued to be sold from inventory until 1963.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I don’t think the breakdown regarding Model 90 ST’s is correct. According to Brophy in his book on Marlin Firearms the ST was introduced in 1953. It stopped production in 2959 but continued to be sold from inventory until 1963.
Stopped production in 1959.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Forgot to mention that with no letter prefix in the serial number, your gun was made prior to WWII. After WWII Marlin used a letter-serial number to indicate the year made.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts