Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently received a Model 9 in excellent condition (externally). It’s a long story so I’ll skip the details but it was malfunctioning and my friend let a less than knowledgeable person look at it. I told him (too late) that it was the buffer that had disintegrated and I could fix it. Well he got it back and all the guy did was clean it and assemble it incorrectly.

It’s now mine and I plan on putting in a Power Custom BlackJack Recoil Buffer and Power Custom 21# Recoil Spring. However, it won’t dry fire. I work the bolt, insert an empty magazine, off the safety, and there’s no click. The trigger moves but I think it was assembled wrong. If there’s other parts you think I may need I’d like to order them with the recoil spring and buffer. Any advice, thoughts, and/or recommendations would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

·
Registered
3,315 Posts
It could also be that it was reassembled incorrectly, as you suspect. I got one a couple of years ago that needed some work. It took a couple of times reassembling it to get it to function (fire). The part i had the most trouble with was the correct alignment/installation of the disconnector, if I remember correctly. It is also easy to have issues with the magazine disconnect safety parts and linkage. As mentioned, it would be much better to take it apart before jumping to conclusions.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The parts arrive in a few days, I'll know then. I also really can't or shouldn't complain, the man gave it to me. I just wish he'd have let me look at it instead of that idiot who "knows all about guns"....Oh well, vent over.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Well, due to some illness in the family and such, I was unable to get to the carbine until now. Between a YouTube video and the owners manual, disassembly was easy enough. Right off the bat I noticed the bolt stop spring was missing. Any recommendations on where to get one from?

The second thing I noticed was a small scratch on the left side plate above the e-ring that retains the hammer pivot pin. I knew I had problems at this point and it explains why the weapon doesn’t cock and fire. Can anyone recommend good instructions and a video, if possible, on the disassembly and proper reassembly of the trigger group?

Oh and yes, the buffer was toast so I replaced that and I swapped out the recoil spring for the 21# unit.

Venting here and with a rhetorical question; but why would any idiot (that's the kindest and most socially acceptable word I could think of) start taking things apart, for no reason, and without out knowing what the hell they’re doing? Arghhh….well, it’s a free weapon so I guess I shouldn’t complain too much. BTW, it’s in great shape, just a lil dirty.

Looking at the trigger group, it looks like there's parts missing. Possible the hammer strut, hammer strut bridge, and the hammer strut spring.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Check the stock for cracks at the rear of the action. The camp rifle stocks are notorious for cracking due to being shot with a broken buffer.
Just so you know Waffletop, the stock's perfect. I think the gun jammed up when the old buffer disintegrated.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Thanks Mush, that's what I thought. I ordered the assembly and the bolt stop spring. I found these videos on disassembly/assembly, he seems to know what he's talking about. If you know of better ones or have any further advice, please let me know. Thanks and I'll let you know how it goes when the parts arrive.

Thanks to all here for your assistance.

Apparently I can only post one video per message. This is the disassembly video. I can post the assembly one, in another message, should anyone be interested.

Addendum: I just noticed this thread as well Trigger Group Assembly Video It was hard for me to find, being a sticky and right at the top of the page and all :rolleyes:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, I finally got to work on it today. It works like a charm. I have to admit assembly was not an easy task. Took me more than a few tries to get the trigger assemble to work. Were I to do this often, proper sized slave pins would be the way to go. I was wondering how it would shoot because that 21# spring is very stiff compared to the stock unit. All shots fired went off without a hitch and I was shooting Winchester white and UMC yellow box ammo. The +P JHP's should give no problems. Have to run now, just wanted to let you all know and to thank everyone for their help. Now I have a 444 to look at that my son-in-law got cheap. He said the mag tube moves under recoil and causes feeding problems. But that's for the 444 board...talk to you later.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
PROBLEM...there's ALWAYS got to be one. The large, aftermarket, bolt/charging handles are all made for the newer models. Mine is an older model, in which the bolt/charging handle gets pushed in to hold open the action. There's a small nub on the inside of the handle, which mates into a circular pocket in the receiver, the new models don't have this. Arghhhh...

Anybody have any ideas?

·
Registered
13 Posts
First off - thanks kilogulf59 for the info on the extended bolt handle for older models. i'll check mine before ordering.

Personal experience was not with the rifle. The previous owner boogered up the mating up of the spring and follower in the magazine. You could only load [3] rounds. Probably the reason it was so cheap. it was an intuitive easy fix, when you disassembled the magazine.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Update: She's still going strong. Even with the heavier recoil spring, she feeds standard velocity 115 gn FMJ flawlessly. Sadly, it does not like Speer Gold Dot 124 gr +P's. they consistently jam. At a glance, it seems they're just a bit longer than the other 9mm rounds I have. She's stoked with Fiocchi 124 gr standard velocity now. On to the next project(s), Fixing the old (1973) Model 60. She jams (FTF) now and is getting a Feedthroat Conversion Kit. Then on to the 444. That one's magazine tube move forward under recoil thus causing a FTF/jam. It was my son-in-law's and he something's stripped and not holding??? We'l see...later folks and thanks for all the help on this project.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts