Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm still trying to find a better sighting solution for my Marlin Model 81TS. My eyes are no longer compatible with the OEM iron sights.

I didn't get a response to: http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/rimfires/109780-model-81ts-scope.html#post1281574 so I'm guessing not many folks have tried to scope this rifle.

Any luck with peep/aperture sights. After looking at the mounting options of many, it seems the dovetail mounts gain a few inches of sight radius but still mount pretty far forward on the receiver and not many are truly compatible with the .22 cal dovetail arrangement (without some auxiliary "weaver conversion"). The Skinner barrel mount seems to be one option, just not sure I want to take that chance. I really prefer the longer sight radius of a receiver mounted sight.

Any suggestions, any and all ideas welcome?

Roger

·
Registered
419 Posts
If you don't mind drilling and tapping your receiver you could install a Williams target foolproof. It would mount on a base on the left rear side of the receiver, the sight itself is set up with an arm that extends the aperture back another couple of inches from there. Pretty much a standard small bore sight and set up. Paired up with a dovetail mounted Lyman 17A you would have a respectable set up for serious practise or entry level small bore shooting. The target foolproof is viewable on Brownell's web site so you can see what I'm talking about in the way it mounts. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Roger,
I looked at your scope post and the thing with dovetail and 1" scopes is there is no base like on guns that are drilled and taped
I just went through this with my model 60 and my XT-22
you could use a rail (I don't like the Picatinny look myself)
Diversified Innovative Products - Products - Marlin

I used Medium B-Square rings on my model 60 but I took the rear sight off (front sight too) I like the b square rings but I striped the torx head blot using the L wrench that came with because I was too lazy to get my good gun set with a real torx
B-Square 1 Sport Utility 22 Rimfire Airgun Rings Medium Matte

I have a set of weaver 3/8 dovetail to weaver ring coming that I may use if my weaver rings are low I like a very low scope
Weaver T-22 2-Piece Adapter Scope Base 3/8 Grooves to Weaver-Style

I would put a scope on guns shoot way better and find a scope with adjustable front optics (A/0) so you can close in and far out BSA sweet 22 can be found for under $50 (or did you have a scope?)

Rick

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds like you have experience with this sight. I appreciate the pointer. I've found a couple of drill-and-tap options, but I was hoping to avoid smithing, but if I'm going to get the sight far back on the receiver I may have to go that way. I'm beginning to see some limitations to the bolt design on this firearm. I just received a customer-service reply from opticsplanet suggesting that tall Burris rings might work, but I should be prepared to use ultra-tall if necessary :-(.

Best regards,
Roger

·
Premium Member
2,442 Posts
If you want to stick with Irons and don't want to make major changes to your rifle I recommend the Marbles Bullseye rear. I have one on my 881 and really like it. it does not have the sight radius of a reciever mounted sight, but sounds like you have come to a similar decision as me with not wanting to drill and tap the reciever.. at least not yet... I got the bullseye as an entry level aperature/ ghost ring and it really opens up the sight picture... just put on a new Skinner front sight and need to get to the range and trim it down/ sight it in...

·
Registered
990 Posts
I agree with the previous poster, I bought one of these for fooling around with and for the $16 bucks I don't think you will fnd a cheaper solution that works as well. It is easy to use, and you can probably still using the same front sight. Fits right in a dove tail.
I am not smart enought to be able to paste a picture here or I would show a picture of one. check out Midway,Brownells or where ever you shop.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I agree with the previous poster, I bought one of these for fooling around with and for the $16 bucks I don't think you will fnd a cheaper solution that works as well. It is easy to use, and you can probably still using the same front sight. Fits right in a dove tail.
I am not smart enought to be able to paste a picture here or I would show a picture of one. check out Midway,Brownells or where ever you shop.
Hi Ron,

I'm getting some good advise from you and others, but I'm not sure to which "previous post" you are replying. Which sight fits in a dovetail mount?

Thanks again, Roger

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Roger,
I have a set of weaver 3/8 dovetail to weaver ring coming that I may use if my weaver rings are low I like a very low scope
Weaver T-22 2-Piece Adapter Scope Base 3/8 Grooves to Weaver-Style

I would put a scope on guns shoot way better and find a scope with adjustable front optics (A/0) so you can close in and far out BSA sweet 22 can be found for under $50 (or did you have a scope?)

Rick
Hi Rick,

I've been looking at the T-22 as a possibility with a scope. Do you happen to know the length dimension of this mount? My front dovetail (from barrel end of chamber to end of dovetail) is only 3/4". I've been looking for that dimension, but just haven't found the right spec sheet yet.

Where did you get that scope for about $50?

Best Regards,
Roger

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you want to stick with Irons and don't want to make major changes to your rifle I recommend the Marbles Bullseye rear. I have one on my 881 and really like it. it does not have the sight radius of a reciever mounted sight, but sounds like you have come to a similar decision as me with not wanting to drill and tap the reciever.. at least not yet... I got the bullseye as an entry level aperature/ ghost ring and it really opens up the sight picture... just put on a new Skinner front sight and need to get to the range and trim it down/ sight it in...
David,

Thanks, I looked that up and tried making a aluminum foil "prototype" and taping it at the rear sight location. I saw some improvement, but could not get the edges of the hole in the foil perfectly round so I'm sure there was some loss of effect from that. My eyes have lost their ability to shift focus. Are you getting a clear picture of front sight and target?

Thanks,
Roger

·
Registered
264 Posts
is that dovetail open ?? the part of the T-22 that goes inside the grove is .815 or .040 over 3/4" I think it will work they give you god height were you can use a low or med ring I'm not using on my model 60 because the other rings are a good fit

that one guy was saying you may want better sights that mount like the sights you have now look at Marbles sights there are others too

BSA scopes are blowing out there older line with the adjustment foe A/O on the front bell sweet 22 3X9 are about $40
Bsa Sweet .22 3-9x40 Mm Scope, Matte Black - 644012, Scopes at Sportsman's Guide

Natchez Shooters Supplies has a few BSA scopes about $50 just get one with A/O

Rick

BSA 3-9x40 Sweet 22 AO Riflescope - Natchez Shooters Supplies

BSA Sweet 22 6-18x40 AO Riflescope Standard Reticle Matte - Natchez Shooters Supplies

·
Registered
990 Posts
Hi Ron,

I'm getting some good advise from you and others, but I'm not sure to which "previous post" you are replying. Which sight fits in a dovetail mount?

Thanks again, Roger

Please see the below picture for the Marbles Bullseye peep. Like I said for about $16 you can try this out and see if works for you. I find that I can see this one pretty good, even with my old, tired and bad eyes. I do have a couple of the Skinner peep sights for a couple of hunting rifles and one my 39A that I plan to use in small bore, cowboy silhouette this year. I like the Skinners a lot.
This is good way to see if you can use peep sights with spending very much money up front. Most any place sells them, Midway USA, Brownnels, etc. It mounts on the rear of the barell right where your current set of factory sights are installed, in the same dovetail. I had to file the sight dove tail a tiny bit to get it to fit, I DID NOT have to file on the gun barrell.
Easy job, 10 min install, and still used the same front factory sight. Good luck.

Marbles Bullseye.jpg

·
Premium Member
2,442 Posts
David,

Thanks, I looked that up and tried making a aluminum foil "prototype" and taping it at the rear sight location. I saw some improvement, but could not get the edges of the hole in the foil perfectly round so I'm sure there was some loss of effect from that. My eyes have lost their ability to shift focus. Are you getting a clear picture of front sight and target?

Thanks,
Roger
Roger,

The bullseye sight will fade out in the sight picture but works much the same as an aperature sight. the eye works naturally to center the front sight in the center ring. when sighting with irons you will focus on the rear sight, front sight, target then back to the front sight. keep your focus on the front site as you take the shot. Eli Chaps (MO member here) has a great post on shooting with iron sights. if I recall correctly, the routine is to focus on the rear sight, front sight, target, rear sight then front sight. sounds like a lot going on, but with a little practice it become very quick and helps me relax into taking a shot. hold your focus on the front sight and let the rear sight and target blur out. i learned that you dont need all two or three points in focus at the same time to aquire and hit your target ... you can probably find the post through a site search or send Eli Chaps a post and he will send you a link. Very nice and helpful fellow... like most folks on MO

if you go with the Marbles Bullseye for your 81, order the short adjustable. I purchased the long adjustable (2-3/4" I think) and had to mount the elevator backwards to get it to work... my mistake, didn't see that the elevator rides behind the sight until I had it on the rifle... still it works great! i recently added a taller Skinner front blade sight as the stock front bead works at 25 yards but leaves no room for adjustment at farther distances. I hope you the best in finding a system that works for you.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Roger,
If you go with the Marbles Bullseye for your 81, order the short adjustable. I purchased the long adjustable (2-3/4" I think) and had to mount the elevator backwards to get it to work... my mistake, didn't see that the elevator rides behind the sight until I had it on the rifle... still it works great! i recently added a taller Skinner front blade sight as the stock front bead works at 25 yards but leaves no room for adjustment at farther distances. I hope you the best in finding a system that works for you.

David and all,

Great tips and David, thanks for the heads up on the size of the Marble bull. I've had a nice email back from Tech-Sights and Erik recommends the MXT200 with the adapter plate (drill and tap) for my setup. The solution from Skinner Sights is likely the barrel mounted sight (ala Marbles) and the Skinner rimfire bases are 2" long so no convenient way to do any modifications given the dimensions of the 81TS. The Marbles option is starting to look like the best entry point for me. Also give me a way to inexpensively "sample" the Skinner solution for my particular case. I've put many a brick of 22's through my rimfires in the distant past, but 30 years ago I moved to an urban situation where those options nearly disappeared and I started other kinds of shooting sports. Now I have an opportunity to start again at nearly age 70 :) and I'm groping a bit to reestablish my experience base. Great help here. Thanks to all.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This is good way to see if you can use peep sights with spending very much money up front. Most any place sells them, Midway USA, Brownnels, etc. It mounts on the rear of the barell right where your current set of factory sights are installed, in the same dovetail. I had to file the sight dove tail a tiny bit to get it to fit, I DID NOT have to file on the gun barrell.
Easy job, 10 min install, and still used the same front factory sight. Good luck.
Ron,

Thanks for the pointers and visuals. Your reasons for trying the Marbles sight are very sound.

Best Regards,
Roger

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
is that dovetail open ?? the part of the T-22 that goes inside the grove is .815 or .040 over 3/4" I think it will work they give you god height were you can use a low or med ring I'm not using on my model 60 because the other rings are a good fit
Ron,

Thanks for the pointers to the scopes and I appreciate your taking time to send the dimensions.

DSCF2851.jpg

Here's an image of the grooves on the top of the 81TS. The RHS groove from the bolt-handle to the rear of the receiver is lost to the bolt-handle track so the two areas of full grooves are 1.75" behind the chamber and 0.75 forward of the chamber.

When a round is chambered, the bolt handle attaches to the bolt at 90 degrees to the vertical and then drops with the radius of the downward bend of the bolt relieved for scope clearance. However, it's just not enough for convenient scope mounting.

DSCF2838.jpg

You might be able to see that here. The bolt is open and rearward.

Anyway, thanks for the information. All this helps.

Best Regards,
Roger

·
Registered
1 Posts
T-22 Adapter

Hi Rick,

I've been looking at the T-22 as a possibility with a scope. Do you happen to know the length dimension of this mount? My front dovetail (from barrel end of chamber to end of dovetail) is only 3/4". I've been looking for that dimension, but just haven't found the right spec sheet yet.

Where did you get that scope for about $50?

Best Regards,
Roger
Hello Roger, I realize this is an old thread but wanted to know if the T-22 adapter worked; I want one for my Marlin 881 if it did.
Thanks in advance, Rudy P.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts