Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First post and first .22 rifle. At age 43 this is my first 22 rifle and I couldn't be happier. I intended to buy a 22 at last weekends gun show and was targeting a Marlin. I own 2 1894's in 357 and 44mag and wanted to stay in the family. This one "spoke to me" as I spied it on an old-timers table, part of his small private sale and at a price I couldn't pass.

Condition is amazing but not sure of age, I read many date/value/age posts but still wasn't quite sure. Not looking for specifics but just a range would be nice.

Barrel is marked: Model 81 - Micro-groove barrel 22cal. S.-L.-LR. (no other letters after 81)
Additional marks on barrel show either AJ or A1, I can't tell.
It has the holes on lower left receiver for the peep sight.
Metal trigger guard - gold trigger.
Stainless bolt and handle.
Swivel stud hole in buttstock (missing swivel)

Just curious as to probable year range of manufacture but this rifle is mine for a long, long time regardless! Can't wait to get out to the range next weekend.

Thank You

·
Premium Member
15,449 Posts
Welcome to the Marlin Owners Forum from the Texas Hill Country

·
Registered
428 Posts
Welcome! What is the location of the "AJ" / "A1", close to the receiver? AJ would would date it Jan-66, AI is Jan 65, AL is Jan 68. If it is A1, I would be lost. Marlin made an A1, but is not the same as a Model 80. Pics would help a bunch.

·
Registered
20,513 Posts
Welcome from South Florida!

·
Registered
969 Posts
First post and first .22 rifle. At age 43 this is my first 22 rifle and I couldn't be happier. I intended to buy a 22 at last weekends gun show and was targeting a Marlin. I own 2 1894's in 357 and 44mag and wanted to stay in the family. This one "spoke to me" as I spied it on an old-timers table, part of his small private sale and at a price I couldn't pass.

Condition is amazing but not sure of age, I read many date/value/age posts but still wasn't quite sure. Not looking for specifics but just a range would be nice.

Barrel is marked: Model 81 - Micro-groove barrel 22cal. S.-L.-LR. (no other letters after 81)
Additional marks on barrel show either AJ or A1, I can't tell.
It has the holes on lower left receiver for the peep sight.
Metal trigger guard - gold trigger.
Stainless bolt and handle.
Swivel stud hole in buttstock (missing swivel)

Just curious as to probable year range of manufacture but this rifle is mine for a long, long time regardless! Can't wait to get out to the range next weekend.

Thank You
Welcome to the forum. You're going to love it here. Others more knowledgeable than me will give you the exact date of manufacture when Marlin began the micro-groove barrel. I'm guessing 1954-1955. The shape of the trigger guard might help. If it is equally rounded, fore and aft like an oval race track, it is pre-1960. In 1960 it became more egg shaped with a larger roundness behind the trigger. The letters "AJ" indicate January (A) 1966 (J). It appears to be a model 81C. The 81C (1945-1970) lacked the rear peep sight and sling swivel studs. The 81 DL, with peep and studs, ceased production in 1964. Yours might have been drilled for a rear swivel which occurred frequently. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
Welcome to the forums from southern Wisconsin.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Welcome to the forum. You're going to love it here. Others more knowledgeable than me will give you the exact date of manufacture when Marlin began the micro-groove barrel. I'm guessing 1954-1955. The shape of the trigger guard might help. If it is equally rounded, fore and aft like an oval race track, it is pre-1960. In 1960 it became more egg shaped with a larger roundness behind the trigger. The letters "AJ" indicate January (A) 1966 (J). It appears to be a model 81C. The 81C (1945-1970) lacked the rear peep sight and sling swivel studs. The 81 DL, with peep and studs, ceased production in 1964. Yours might have been drilled for a rear swivel which occurred frequently. Hope this helps.
Great information, much appreciated. Trigger guard is egg shape and all other info points to it being an 81C from the late 60s. Interesting! Can't believe a 50 year old rifle is in this good of shape.

Thank you all.

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
43 yo and never owned a 22 ? Uh :hmmmm:
Welcome to MO from the free state of Georgia.

·
Super Moderator
17,238 Posts
Welcome aboard from Alabama... I'm 54 and just started shopping for my first .22 :eating: ... My first long gun was a 336c in .30-.30 in the early 70's...

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
Yuk..Yuk...I thought you were saying that you were a model and were 81 yrs. old...and a new member...:vollkommenauf::vollkommenauf:

Okay...enough of my silly stuff.

Welcome...!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts