Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First post. Glad to be here. I have a 80 DL that i've had since I was a kid. About 50 years. It is a pre '54 with a plastic trigger guard. I am bringing it back to life to shoot again . It has not been fired in about 40 years and I must say it looks good. Question, how do I disassemble the bolt for a good cleaning? Also how can I date it a little closer?
Love the forum here And I hope someone can help.

bvisteve

·
Registered
86 Posts
Is is some information I receive form RounderRick when I posted about my 80E. May help with yours. And welcome to the board.

Hello utbrowningman – If it has a metal trigger guard and finger grooves along the side of the stock – it was made in 1935-36. If metal but no grooves, then 1937-38. In 1939 (last year for the 80E) the trigger guard went to plastic and the stock was totally restyled & continued this “fat”look until after WW2 (when it got slimmed down much like today’s version). The “E” indicates the deluxe version (later known as “DL”) which featured the peep sight & hooded front. The pre-war rifles like yours are getting pretty scarce. It’s good to hear they’re still out there. Better to appreciate the history (especially family style) and avoid the urge to “restore” or “fix it up”. GoodLuck - RounderRick

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your reply. That helps. It could be from 1945-1954 then. It also has a two piece trigger and sear assy if that helps.
It has no open sights and does not look like it ever did . I has the weaver/jc higgins scope and a 4screw side mount scopemount.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have some more info on my model 80 DL. It has an oddly bent bolt that
i was told was only used in 47-48 There is also a deep grove in the stock to accommodate the handle, a beach stock, and a two piece extractor. Does this seem to be correct?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Marlin 80 DL

I also have a marlin 80DL with the oddly bent bolt , metal trigger guard, birch stock (light color). It has the peep sight and hood and a metal plate for adjusting the postion of the front sling, which might have been added later. It also has a cap on the piston grip but I also think someone added that. No marlin Bulls eye and not micro grove barrel. i think 47-49...any thought on this??

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have owned a model 81 since I was 16 (over 50 years) it is the same as the 80 but tube fed. It has ballard rifling. It is wonderful wonderful with lead bullets and loves subsonic best but doesn't care for lighter clad rounds or higher speed. 75 yards with good subsonic and cover with a dime. Use goldens or high speed and be lucky to hit a plate. Wonderful with the 60 gram rounds but my 39a microgroove sees them keyhole at that distance. If the gun is pre 53 with Ballard rifling and use the ammo it loves and the gun is a treasure.
My rifle is a 1937-1938 and also has the deep bolt groove. I would love to have an original peep sight. I do believe that after 1939 they used suffixes like "DL" or whatever.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Some pics of my early model 80E and model 81, both beautiful shooters (and I never want to part with them!) Enjoy yours when you can -- they don't make them like this anymore!

MVC-014S.JPG MVC-006S.JPG MVC-007S.JPG

1 - 7 of 7 Posts