Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Weather this morning at 10am was 72 with winds 3 - 5 mph right to left. I started setting up and the wind would die way down then pick up a little so between the gust I would shoot and I managed to get in a pretty decent range session. All of the ammo I used today is stuff I've picked up sometime this year. I wanted to see how today's ammo performs. I remember a time we would pick up 22 LR ammo at the store and go shoot squirrels in the head and never complain about crappy ammo. The targets I used are printed from the MO Postal Match pdf at normal size. I shot laying down with the rifle laying on a pillow. All things considered it was a pretty steady set up. Besides, who goes squirrel hunting carrying a lead sled around? Anyway, I recently aquired a Leupold 2-7x20 VARI X II scope from Sidespin and I like it a lot but really, I've never owned a Leupold I didn't like.
The first picture is a Google Earth shot, the cows are no longer in the pasture, the rectangle is my shooting lane. After bore sighting the Leupold I used the Norma ammo to zero it in then I shot five rounds of each box of ammo. After I got done sighting in the rifle I stood up and there was a doe and two yearlings about 100 yards to my right in the pasture eating away. They stayed there the entire time I was shooting, then ran off after I came outside with my Canon to try and get some nice pictures.
So what does all this prove? The Norma ammo was the most expensive ammo I've purchased at around $5 a box. Being it was "Match" ammo I decided to pay a little more and see what "Match" was all about. Guess I'm not easily impressed cause I think it's all junk. I'm no sharp shoot'n award winning match shooter and never shot a match in my life but I do keep my freezer full and that's all I care about. Can I buy affordable ammo and put meat in the freezer? Yes, but for how much longer? Seems the cheaper ammo is not only cheap in price but cheaply made, too. While shooting I could hear the difference in the ammo's report and then see it on paper. The Fiochhi, after I shot all the different rounds on their targets I shot up everything and this stuff is junk. One round would be really loud and next sounded like a 22 Short. The whole box was that way. The Armscor wasn't any different. How's a person expected to hit a target when the ammo is this bad?
So back to the question, what does it prove? That ammo manufacturers don't give a crap about quality and are selling us junk. MHO.
I'll be getting out some ammo I have stashed and see if ammo from a couple years ago is any better. I'll post it as I do. Four targets on this post and two more on the next post.
BTW all shots are at 50 yrds.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
2 more.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Guess Winchester wins this round. Not bad for free ammo.

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts