Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Marlin Levermatic (Model 62 w/ 20" barrel in cal 30 Carbine). It seems to be very critical on both feeding and extraction. I think I may have fixed the feeding problem by getting a faactory crimp die but I still occasionally have problems with extraction. Is this a common problem with this rifle and is there a fix. Also, when firing, fired cases come out with an area of black burned powder marks along the side of the case. These marks start at the mouth of the case and extend back for about 1/2 inch. I was told by someone that this was normal for the 30 Carbine. Does anyone have any info?

·
Registered
44 Posts
The blackening of the case is due to low pressure loads allowiwing gasses to escape back along the case at firing. Also will happen with work hardened reloading brass. Not just a 30Carbine problem. That is a weak action so low pressures are desirable.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Weak action?? Never heard a Levermatic called that before. Locking system is similar to the Savage 99...I wouldn't call it weak.

About half of the 62 line were .256, the other were .30 carbine :)

Some did have pretty rough chambers...and many have found relief by polishing 'em...or setting the barrel back & re-chambering them.
I'd start with a serious polish job and go from there.

Also, make sure there is ZERO oil in the chamber area before firing. Oil turns to Glue when you add pressure & heat :D
After I clean & oil a weapon, I'll run dry patches down the barrel...until they have no hint of oil on them.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts