Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good evening,
I ran into some one that showed me a model Martin I had never seen. He new nothing about them and didn't like guns. So might have to see if I can pick it up. It said it was a model 60 lr 22 cal. Not sure how long the barrel was. I couldn't find a mag but opening a sliding side action it didn't look like a single shot. Action was pretty dirty and didn't really self close when you let it go. I recall it stopping short in the Last .500" . Any info out there about it. I know its a bad question why any idea of value. No scope and stock Sights.
Thanks Hans

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a model 60 (1990) and it has a tubular magazine that holds 18lr. I understand they shortened the barrel and the magazine at a later date.

New ones in my area are running $155-$165

jeff

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow 18 ends really. So it was tube fed with like a screw cap at the end. Hemm wasn't looking for that. Have they been made for long? Do they shoot good. Are they picky on ammo?

·
Super Moderator
15,838 Posts
The Model 60 has been around since 1960 according to Brophy's book, there are many variations of the 60 and I'm thinking the action was pretty much the same in them. There is a knurled knob underneath the barrel at the muzzle end, turn it left or right and unhook it from it's catch, you can then pull the inner mag tube out, there is also a cutout in the outer mag tube for loading your favorite ammo. and YES they can be finicky about what you feed them, I don't know if Remington Golden ammo is the still bad to use because reports are it's a dirty ammo. Hyper velocity ammo is not recommended as the recoil will eventually start breaking things like the buffer and possibly crack the aluminum receiver. Search for Marlin Model 60 or go to the Marlin website where you download the operator manual on the 60, it'll help you better understand yours. At the top of the Rimfire forum look for the stick by Arrowdodger, he'll take you step by step in a teardown, sounds like your 60 is going to need a deep cleaning. Good Luck and keep the forum updated. Mr fixit

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sweet sounds like a nice cheap 22. I'll see if I can pick it up from him. Thanks for the insight. I looked back threw some old posts and found some photos. And yes I'm betting a full tear down is needed. It was problem shot till it didn't feed anymore.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Eli Chaps said:
The Marlin Model 60 is the most prolific auto-loading rimfire rifle on the planet. Bunches and bunches of the around. Great rifle. Mine is one of my all time favorite guns of any configuration.
+1

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
ktmhans,

What is the first 2 numbers of the serial number on the receiver?
And what does it say on the barrel?
Glenfield model 60 or Marlin model 60?

That will narrow it down alot!

These 60's are some of the easiest to work on and clean. Parts availability can be tricky depending on what you need.
Aftermarket modifications are almost endless...fancy triggers, fancy bolt handles, laminate stocks, etc.

Most of the 60's that people think don't work too well any more just need a teardown, cleaning and soak. You be amazed at what great finds you can get with a little elbow grease.

I picked up a 75C barrel/receiver, lower action and receiver from GunBroker for $29 + $25 to my FFL holder.
(a model 60 with a shorter barrel and tube)
I just finished turning it into this:

A model 60 DEFINITELY is a must in your rifle collection! :D

·
Registered
57 Posts
I bought an old model 60 that wouldn't cycle reliably. Took it apart following a 'sticky' instruction above and found it was caked up with powder residue so bad I had to scrape some of it off. Spray cleaner helped but didn't get the really dirty stuff off.

If it is not closing all the way it may be an after 1985(?) model that has the "Last Round Hold Open" feature. Look for a small metal piece protruding from the bottom of the trigger housing just in front of the trigger. If it has that, press on it and it should close. Another clue is if the magazine tube is about 2" or 2 1/2" shorter than the barrel it is a late model and will only hold 15 rounds. On the older models the magazine tube went nearly all the way to the end of the barrel and held 18 rounds.

You will also find an Owner's Manual on this forum that will fill you in on details.

BTW, the Marlin 60 is one of the more accurate 22's around.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Alright sorry it took so long, but I finially put the business deal together with they gentleman that had the gun. Now I was able to offer to buy it. I think i did pretty good. I got it for $40!! a prevous poster asked what the first 2 were and the actual stamping on it.
says its a GLENFIELD MOD 60 . I don't have a tape on me but I'm going to say it has a 22" barrel. wood is pretty clean and the first 2 of the serial are 25******
The two origanal stickers are still on the bottom of the front of the stock. Pretty nice find. Going to read the sticky now and get to work.

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
Subtract the 25 from 2000 and your 60 was made in 1975.
It sounds like you could use a really good teardown and cleaning.
Sounds pretty sticky and gunky in there.

There are few threads around about how to do that step by step and with pictures.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
1975 sweet! I wasnt sure if thats the way all marlin serial #ing worked or not. Im just trying to get the sticky downloaded now.
Thanks

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
GJinNY said:
ktmhans,

What is the first 2 numbers of the serial number on the receiver?
And what does it say on the barrel?
Glenfield model 60 or Marlin model 60?

That will narrow it down alot!

These 60's are some of the easiest to work on and clean. Parts availability can be tricky depending on what you need.
Aftermarket modifications are almost endless...fancy triggers, fancy bolt handles, laminate stocks, etc.

Most of the 60's that people think don't work too well any more just need a teardown, cleaning and soak. You be amazed at what great finds you can get with a little elbow grease.

I picked up a 75C barrel/receiver, lower action and receiver from GunBroker for $29 + $25 to my FFL holder.
(a model 60 with a shorter barrel and tube)
I just finished turning it into this:

A model 60 DEFINITELY is a must in your rifle collection! :D
That evolution stock is nice! I did the brown lam on my 17 HMR savage. Very nice

·
Premium Member
13,380 Posts
ktmhans said:
Alright sorry it took so long, but I finially put the business deal together with they gentleman that had the gun. Now I was able to offer to buy it. I think i did pretty good. I got it for $40!! a prevous poster asked what the first 2 were and the actual stamping on it.
says its a GLENFIELD MOD 60 . I don't have a tape on me but I'm going to say it has a 22" barrel. wood is pretty clean and the first 2 of the serial are 25******
The two origanal stickers are still on the bottom of the front of the stock. Pretty nice find. Going to read the sticky now and get to work.
40 bucks?? .... I am in shock :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Congrats

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
well got it all cleaned up. pulled the action and bolt. didn't take the action really apart. bolt had some light rust residue on it. and crazy machineing marks from the 70's. I lapped all sides of the bolt to slick her up. I don't think this riffle was shot much. there was still back spray paint or anidize on the inside of the of where the bolt rides. where the hammer rotates over the bolt didn't show any signs of smoothing (from shooting) and the black painted part that depresses up and down via the roller on the bolt, still had the paint on it. and was uneven. I did the best I could to get surfaces mating better. lubed it up. The wood looks freaking awsome!!!! Fired the first shot with no problems. put 2 in, those fired and fed well. loaded up 4 boom,boom,boom,boom.
Yep this is going to be FUN

·
Registered
620 Posts
You oughta be ashamed of yourself... $40.00- you stole that thing.

Congrats on a GREAT deal
wally

·
Registered
711 Posts
Careful on how much lube you give that little guy. A drop on the roller, a drop rubbed over the bolt, and a drop on each of the pins is all it needs. They gunk up quickly, even worse with a lot of oil. Nice gun, good luck!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts