Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
I recently got a hold of my dads 1980 marlin model 60. I tore it down to clean and put it back together. My father passed away about 10 years ago and hasn't had a bullet fired through it in at least that long. With .22lr ammo being hard to come by i bought 50 rounds of remington ammo. I put 6 rounds in the tube magazine. The first bullet loaded into the chamber just fine. I pull the action back and it ejects perfectly. However the next round will pop out if i slide the action forward real slow or hit high and a little to the right of the chamber. The only thing I have replaced is the recoil spring. Any ideas on what it could be? I have been told also CCI ammo is the best to use. Still waiting to find some in stores... Thanks

·
Registered
746 Posts
Hello,
So you don't know if it might have already had that problem before the 10 years passed.
First thing always: clean it right down to the extractor springs and the slots the extractors and springs fit in.
It can be ammo; possibly hollow points are a problem. Hard to say unless the eject/extract parts are spotless and functioning flawlessly.

·
Registered
711 Posts
They're not designed to be cycled slowly. Load the tube, pull the bolt back and let it slam home.
If you're cycling live ammo through it, be sure you have it pointed in a safe direction and repeat the above.
Be careful and good luck!

·
Registered
814 Posts
None of my model 60's like Remington brand ammo, lots of jamming. I have had good results with CCI.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Try (if you can find them) Federal Target .22's....the ones in the black & white bulk pack that say "For Semi-auto rifles". They feed perfectly in all my semi-autos, velocity is a bit lower than some of the others, but they shoot great. At least it will tell you if you have a gun problem or an ammo problem....

--728shooter

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
Does it work if you shoot it? Autos don't like to work in slow motion and you already know the Rem stuff is not the best. I like CCI Mini Mags the best in mine. I have seen one 60 that wouldn't cycle hardly at all with Rem, I gave the kid some bulk Win to try and it ate them right up. Give the action a good cleaning if you haven't and try it out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Try CCI mini-Mags or CCI Velocitor I have had the best of luck with CCI brand ammo in my Model 60, even in my Walther P22 which is very finicky

·
Registered
4 Posts
Remington Golden bullets now say "New and Improved" on the box - i scored 3x225 rd boxes of that stuff at WM

we'll see if its better :):)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I bought some CCI pest control ammo just to see if that would help and it still seems to jam. I have discovered though it will fire 2 bullets alone just fine. Its as if the tube mag spring is forcing a full magazine into the feeder too quickly or not quickly enough?

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
The model 60 (at least few I've had, and several other makes) tend to be picky om ammo brand. I have good luck with Federal and CCI round nose, most hollowpoint or trunkcated rounds (not round nosed) tend to jamb on feeding. Alsl when they get warm from rapid fire they tend to jamb.

As other said, be sure to clean the extractor and all the nooks and crannies, including the cut in the barrel (chamber end) taht the extractor fits into, that area get too little atention when cleaning.

·
Registered
7,432 Posts
Remington Goldens, my two 60's thrive on 'em. :hmmmm:

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
There is a tutorial on U-Tube ref : tearing down a model 60. Did you go that route or some other way?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I got to shoot again yesterday and everything works great. only had 2-3 jams in 50 rounds of remington. I like federal and cci but they are hard to come by, but thanks everyone for the input!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts