Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First yard sale of the morning had model 60 that the gentleman said would not fire a round. He claimed light strikes and would take $50 for it. Tried to talk him down but he was firm, price he had on it the day before was $125. Some barrel rust on the bottom front and a little paint flake on the top of the receiver. Got it home and the first three I put in would not fire. So, we just cycled the action a few hard times, fiddle around with it, and reloaded those three same rounds as there was no strike mark on the rounds. Surprise, the gun fired and hit the paper at 20 yards. My 13 year old son shot the next two fine as well. Son had a nice 4 shot 1” grouping after 5 or so rounds. In the next 50 rounds, two unfired rounds got bungled up on cycling and bent the brass casing about in the middle of the round. Assuming this thing just needs a really good cleaning and that should fix that, or something else I should look at? This is my first model 60, so any help on this is appreciated.

Thanks!

Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
15,445 Posts
Well done... Is that a Phil B. sticker I see on the forestock?

The fired cases getting stuck and bent sounds like your feed throat is worn out and in need of replacing. Could be a good cleaning is the place to start though... Check out Arrowdodgers Youtube videos for help replacing it...

And we love Model 60's in our house...

100_3679.JPG

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Sweet find. I say break it down and give it a thorough cleaning and enjoy.

·
Super Moderator
4,879 Posts
The two most prevalent issues I can think of concerning .22 cal firearms are:

1. Dinged chamber mouth caused from dry firing .... the firing pin hits the unprotected chamber mouth in a absence of a round in the chamber - a small burr is created by the firing pin strike

2. Damaged firing pin (caused by the same conditions in #1) which leads to light strikes ... or possibly no strikes

Both can usually be easily remedied.

Just my wag

jd

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Curious.....whats with the Phil B sticker?.....

DR

·
Super Moderator
15,445 Posts
Curious.....whats with the Phil B sticker?.....

DR

One of the employees at Marlin used to put it on all of the rifles he tested and targeted...

·
Registered
13,302 Posts
Nice score! My guess is, with a little TLC that's going to be a fine rifle. By all means, a thorough cleaning, Check all things mentioned and if you still have the ejection problem consider different ammo. I have a couple thousand rounds of Federal that won't run in my 10-22 or Ruger 22/45. The only ammo that runs faultlessly in both is CCI. I use the Federal in my 39A and Single Six.

You did real good!

·
Registered
298 Posts
Clean thoroughly, check the buffer and replace if needed. Do more ammo testing before anything else. It may not need anything else, of course as someone mentioned, a new feed throat might eventually be needed

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
It's likely just gummed up. M60s are much more gummy prone than other brands and for some reason, novice/lazy shooters that don't clean their guns own more Marlins than anything in my experience. My 123456XX serial 60 looked like it was packed with grey oatmeal when I bought it and I got it running 100% with no new parts. Nearly every other 60 I've owned was clogged up when I got them.

·
Registered
5 Posts
If you have not solved the problem yet, I think your initial guess is correct. It seems obvious that working the bolt freed up some of the oil/grease/powder mixture that has turned to glue. It sounds like the bolt is not closing completely for the firing pin to make a deep enough impression on the cartridge case. It also sounds like the bolt is not going back far enough on those couple occasions when you've had the jams. I would start with a good soaking in solvent and then check the buffer and recoil spring. I've seen a cracked buffer do some unusual things to the operation. of the rifle.

·
Premium Member
5,643 Posts
Congrats on a nice find!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts