Registered
278 Posts
Nice job , it looks GREAT !
Al

Reactions: RamCharger

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
Very Nice Job. Beautiful Wood on That'n.
Ya Done Good!
Unclesarge58

·
Premium Member
2,614 Posts
Very nice....

·
Banned
2,263 Posts
Nice work RC! Looks great now! :congrats: I'd like to find one of those myself someday.

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
that's suuuhhhhweeeeet!

·
Super Moderator
2,339 Posts
Looks great, what type of finish did you use? I just got a 57 .22mag a few days ago and I'm in the same boat. The stock is in nice shape, only a few minor dings but it has years of BLO buildup, that or TruOil. It's even slobbered onto the metal. I saw one on GunBroker that was like brand new and noticed the stock finish was dull originally. I'm thinking of just stripping it and using gunny paste. Did you stain yours or leave it natural? This is my first post here, hoping to find more info on these 57's and a few other Marlins I have. Any way to date these things?

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Looks great, what type of finish did you use? I just got a 57 .22mag a few days ago and I'm in the same boat. The stock is in nice shape, only a few minor dings but it has years of BLO buildup, that or TruOil. It's even slobbered onto the metal. I saw one on GunBroker that was like brand new and noticed the stock finish was dull originally. I'm thinking of just stripping it and using gunny paste. Did you stain yours or leave it natural? This is my first post here, hoping to find more info on these 57's and a few other Marlins I have. Any way to date these things?
I use the pictured can, it's Spanish Walnut. I've done several stocks with it. I don't even know if they make the stuff anymore and I plead the 5th as to it's manufacture date. I sanded it down until all the scratches were gone then I sand with 400, 600, 800, 1000 and 2000. The finish is as smooth and soft as silk.
If your 57 has a serial number then it can be dated using the first 2 digits, if it doesn't have a serial number then it was made before 68. If the barrel says Model 57 and not 57M then it was likely made around 1960.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Put back together.... Now to go outside and throw some lead! :flute:

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,339 Posts
Looks great!
I just put the first coat on my stock, still got a week or so before I get it back together. Stupid me never took any "before" shots of it though. I had no choice on re-doing the stock as it was a dark, thick, tacky, sticky finish with half of it slobbered all over the metal. I've done some reading here and I think mine is 1960. It has a steel receiver, early style barrel marking that just says model 57, and stock has the grip cap with white spacer. I got all the metal cleaned up and it's in excellent shape with bright shiny bore. I'll post pics in a new thread in a few weeks. Still learning my way around here and how to find stuff. Trying now to find where I can date my other Marlins starting with an old 1897.

·
Premium Member
9,847 Posts
That is a WOW!! Great job! John

1 - 20 of 20 Posts