Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New here and need direction. Just got a Model 55 to set up for the local turkey shoots. I am looking for either a Lyman or Williams peep sight for it. Does anybody either have one or know the model number that fits? I have seen them on other ones and know that Lyman made one years ago. All help appreciated.

Semper Fi
John

·
Registered
7,432 Posts
Have you tried the Williams or other manufacture web sites. They also surface on e-bay from time to time.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I am looking for the same thing as you, Marine...for the same reason. I've just about given up trying.
If you find out which one it is, will you please post the info? In the last 4 or 5 years, I've bought around 8 or 9 sights that I thought would work...but not to be.
A few years back, I saw a picture of a 55 WITH peep sight mounted...I was so jealous...still am.

·
Registered
138 Posts
No...I just know which 9 it's not. I may try to alter a couple of the ones I have and see if I can make them work. There is no markings that I can see on most of the ones that are close, and the others don't matter. I'll put some time into the sights this week. Will keep you posted.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
I have a Mod. 55 that I bought in late '67 (has a New Haven stamp on it) and there are no mounting holes on it. Anyway I look at it it would be an awkward mount, maybe a side mount like on a Win. 94.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Hey, Marine...I just did a turkey shoot today with both of my 55s at 25 yds. With both guns, the best pattern is achieved by aiming slightly high and left...one a bit more than the other. I found that getting 1/2 of the bead showing above the whatever that flattopped thing is called just ahead of the breech, and aiming for my spot, it's very consistantly in the leading group. I may stop looking for the peep and have a bit of machining done to the "flattop" since this is all I'll ever use it for. For what I can sell the peeps for, It'll probably offset the nachining cost.
CTYankee..I don't know when Marlin stopped D&Ting for the peep sight...but the 10 ga Super Goose I had and both of the 12ga "normal" Goose guns all were D&T'd on left the side of the very rear of the barrel...very much like Mossberg 22s.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I got an answer from Lyman. They said it was a 40SM and it had been out of production for about 38 years. Found a couple that had been sold on GB and Fleabay in the last couple of years. May look at getting a set of Williams FireSights put on it if I can't get ahold of one of these. As soon as it stops raining I am going to see how it patterns and go from there.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Thank you for tracking that info down. 40SM will be in my "sights" for a long time. Until I find some anyway. I'm still going to try the machining because there won't be so much whining from the the other turkeys at the shoot. We all know that when turkeys whine...It ain't pretty.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Hey, Marine...You're GOOD!! Have you thought about a career finding jet liners ???:questionmark::biggrin:

They...and we...need you NOW so we can see something else on the news.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I just stumbled on to something that may be a solution...or not. The Ruger forum...(not Ruger Factory) had an oldie but goodie posted today. There is apparently a add on rear aperature sight for a 101 revolver that may work on the Marlin Goose Gun as peep sight. For the last price shown...$10, I'll sure try it. Maybe it'll work. If not, I'll put it on a 101.

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=41

MY BAD...I shoulda read the full post before...These blades fit a whole bunch of guns and come in 2 sizes...7/32 & 9/32. I'm still gonna try to see if I can make it work. They're $11/shipped.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts