Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have a Model 44 in 20 gauge that they can measure their stock for me? Along the top of the stock, mine measures right about 11" from the end of the original stock wood (without buttplate) to where the stock wood meets the receiver steel.

My 44 was my grandfather's, has a 23 3/4" barrel and has a serial number in the 3,700s. He sold it about 50 years ago to a neighbor kid who was a friend of my father. The neighbor kid, now in his late 60s, gave it to my father a few years back to get it back into our family. This was much appreciated as my grandfather passed away before I was born and I love his old guns.

The neighbor kid was a real big guy and he added about three inches to the 44's stock with a new stock piece added on to the back of the original stock. I'd like to remove this extension piece and buy a butt plate to fit the original stock.

The reason I'm asking for a measurement is that I'm not sure if the other guy just added the new piece right onto the back of the original stock or if he cut the original stock back for some reason to fit the new piece on. Gungrip.com sells a butt plate for the Model 44. Depending on the cutback or not, this butt plate may be a perfect fit.

Anyone have one they can measure for me?

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks a lot. Sounds like it's in the ballpark. I'll buy the one from gun grip.com and use the sanding block if it needs some trimming. Maybe I'll get lucky and it'll just fit.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts